Thread: 1985 VL120 ..??

1985 VL120 ..??

Hello Everyone. Im a new member to the site and buying my first boat. Its a 1985 Hydra sports VL120 bass boat. I can not find any information on that model at all. I know its a 15'. They guy Im buying this from put a really nice 76 Johnson 135 on it. Motor has all new electronics (he rebuilds boat motors as a living) has minn kota edge 55 troller. Seems like its in really nice shape. Trailer is nice. $2000.00 I just need to buy batteries for it as he is keeping them for another boat. If you have any info on this model, things to look for on the boat and the motor I would appreciate it. This is my first boat purchase. Im a dad and have a 7 yr old and 3 yr old boys that I want to get into fishing. Maybe do some regional stuff myself. I grew up in Ft Lauderdale fishing the everglades until I was 12 then moved up north but I can flip and jig like a pro.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I think from memory it's essentially the same as the X-260. I still have the 260 I bought new in 1983. Mine has a 115 Evinrude, runs good with that size motor. Not the best in really rough water, but I've crossed a lot of bad stuff at Santee. Just have to be careful in the rough stuff.

3. Member
    Thank you sir.. Just trying to read up as much as I can about the boat and motor. We have some pretty decent lakes in Ohio, nothing like big water great lake stuff i think the biggest lake is something like 2170 acres. Im sure it will take me a minute to get used to. I already know I want to build a deck extension for it. I have an AWD suv, thought this would be a really decent boat and easy to tow/launch.

i know those older johnson and evinrudes motors are built like tanks and worth gold.

Lakes in my immediate area

Deer creek lake -> 5 min drive from my house
    Alum creek lake -> 40 min drive
    buck creek lake -> 40 min drive
    ceaser creek lake -> 30 min drive

Plus a few more little over an hour or so little bit north of me.

4. Member
    c-rig, what are the specs for the x260? fuel capacity, weight capacity,

5. Member
    X260 is 16' long, rated for a 115. Holds 18 gallons of gas. Weight capacity, I'll check tomorrow when I get home from work.

The VL 120 IIRC is either 16' or 16'4" log, rated for a 120.It should fish great on the size waters you mentioned.

Should be a great boat to start out with. Will be a little tight if trying to fish more than two people but Hydrosports were built strong and will last forever.

7. Member
    I purchased a new 1983 Hydrasports 254 (I believe) 15'-4" with 80 hp outboard. Bought another one in 1984 and I believe it was called VL-465 16'-3" with 115 Evinrude. Had good experiences on Toledo Bend back in the day in both. Always loved the looks of those boats. We had a local dealer and he always treated people fair.

HydraSports Boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    I purchased a new 1983 Hydrasports 254 (I believe) 15'-4" with 80 hp outboard. Bought another one in 1984 and I believe it was called VL-465 16'-3" with 115 Evinrude. Had good experiences on Toledo Bend back in the day in both. Always loved the looks of those boats. We had a local dealer and he always treated people fair.

Bought a '85 Hydro new in '85. Kept it and used it to fish a lot of club and other tournaments till 1996. I've had about 10 Bass Boats in the last 45 yrs and I can say that the Hydro was in the top 3. I put one of the new 100 Mercurys on it in '88 and it would fly. Rough water no problem. Great boat! This was one of the Kevlar models also. Great boat and your price seems fair if it is in good shape. Be sure and check transom and floors! Looks great.