Trimming Up After Running

Is is bad for the outboard (I have an Opti 150 1B480246) to immediately trim the engine way up (intakes/prop out of the water) as soon as get to your fishing spot?

I see a lot of guys do this, but I've been hesitant as I wasn't sure if the loss of water would be good for the engine. I would like to however!

This is especially important now as spring approaches and fish are very shallow.
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

you dont have to trim it that high just enough that its not dragging bottom. just get it even with the bottom of your boat. check this in garage and make a mental note of the angle of the motor. a lot of people trim theirs way higher than necissary
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

3. Member
    Main thing is to get to your spot, but come off plane about a minute out, and idle in. That gives the engine a chance to get rid of the heat soak that has built up when running at high speed. Once you shut it down, trim angle is irrelevant, as the block is going to drain just as it does when you pull it out at the ramp.

In the days of carbureted motors, this was different and I avoided trimming up unless forced to do so as that drained the carb bowls and spilled raw fuel / oil into the air silencer and ultimately underneath the cowl to make a mess.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Also,your boat will steer a lot better with the trolling motor if the engine is low enough to act as a rudder.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Main thing is to get to your spot, but come off plane about a minute out, and idle in. That gives the engine a chance to get rid of the heat soak that has built up when running at high speed. Once you shut it down, trim angle is irrelevant, as the block is going to drain just as it does when you pull it out at the ramp.

In the days of carbureted motors, this was different and I avoided trimming up unless forced to do so as that drained the carb bowls and spilled raw fuel / oil into the air silencer and ultimately underneath the cowl to make a mess.
    +1

And I'll add that while the added "rudder" back there may make trolling easier, it does leave a possibility of dragging the skeg, prop, or gearcase across the bottom (or stumps/rocks). Really a good idea to get it up high enough that it can't touch bottom even when a wave runs across your path.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks folks....good info to have. On the river with tides, the less drag in the the water the better when fishing opposite the tidal flow.
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

I raise mine up when go into coves etc, and its carbed , but never thought of the fuel dump out.. maybe that's why at times its hard start?

8. Member
    In the case of my old 1992 XR6, it was an issue. A couple of squeezes on the primer bulb will refill everything however. My Pro XS eliminated all that nonsense. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    [question] how do the carbs dump all the fuel out of the bowls if the needle valves are closing hmmmmm ?????? with engine tilted at slight angle say just off trim rods
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    [question] how do the carbs dump all the fuel out of the bowls if the needle valves are closing hmmmmm ?????? with engine tilted at slight angle say just off trim rods
    vent tubes in the venturies