Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    Yes, they pay $1200/month for it. Ridiculous lol. I would highly recommend getting it looked at because if they close the recall you'll have a $15000 paper weight. Not sure if insurance could be involved at that point. It included all Tacoma from 05-09. If there's a hole bigger than 10mm they're required to replace the frame. I had 3x3 inch holes so it was a no brainer. Don't wait, get it looked at very carefully. Check under the motor mounts t's as well, that's where mine went bad and it's hard to see unless on a hoist
    I'm guessing you just take it in to any Toyota dealer correct?

Yes, but take it somewhere you trust. I'd even insist to be there while they inspect or see if you can go somewhere prior and go over it with a private mechanic. Toyota's current preventive if not replacement is spraying a rubber coating over the frame. This does nothing but hide any perforated areas. Like filling a tooth with a cavity without removing the diseased part of the tooth. It will just continue to rot from underneath
    Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Allison View Post
    Give yourself plenty of stopping room for a heavy boat will push it a little more than most full size truck. I personally prefer electric trailer brakes. I have a buddy that has pulled a 21 ft bullet all over the country with his without an issue
    Totally agree, but pretty sure the hull on a 21' Bullet weighs about the same as most 17' or 18' aluminum bass boats!

I also don't think the difference between 1/4ton and 1/2ton trucks is always as much as people think. Curb weight on a double cab v6 tacoma is about 4450lb, a 3.5l ecoboost f150 is only 4640lb according to toyotas and Fords websites...I'm not sure you aren't feeling 4-wheel disc brakes more so than the 190lb difference between these two 1/4-ton and a half-ton pickups when it comes to stopping. Yet, there is a crowd of people (not referring to any post, just in general) who wouldn't blink at towing a tank of a 22' glass boat with an f150, but will scream bloody murder if you suggest even a medium-sized glass boat with a tacoma. There's a bigger weight difference between other 1/2-ton vehicles and a tacoma, the point only being that to a degree the generalities don't tell you everything and I think most people exaggerate the differences sometimes--either vehicle within the GCVW will do just fine and be plenty safe.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
    You can ONLY take it to a toyota dealer. They'll look you up by VIN to see if the vehicle is included--you should be able to call and find out. My info may be outdated but at one point only certain states were included in the frame replacement. I had thought the test was to essentially hit the frame with a hammer or something to see if it penetrated the frame, rather than see if the frame had already been penetrated by rust--but I could easily be wrong about that. I did my frame in 2013, my wifes tacoma was done in 2015. On mine I took it in for the test, which took 20 minutes--at that point they ordered parts. It took about a month to get the parts in, at which point they had my truck for about a week and provided me a rental. My wifes got done 2 years later--which was odd since my truck was newer than hers--and we did the same thing, but the parts took 5 months to get in. Again, they only had the truck for a week. Sounds like others are having very different experiences, so I imagine much of this must be up to the individual dealer??

Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    You can ONLY take it to a toyota dealer. They'll look you up by VIN to see if the vehicle is included--you should be able to call and find out. My info may be outdated but at one point only certain states were included in the frame replacement. I had thought the test was to essentially hit the frame with a hammer or something to see if it penetrated the frame, rather than see if the frame had already been penetrated by rust--but I could easily be wrong about that. I did my frame in 2013, my wifes tacoma was done in 2015. On mine I took it in for the test, which took 20 minutes--at that point they ordered parts. It took about a month to get the parts in, at which point they had my truck for about a week and provided me a rental. My wifes got done 2 years later--which was odd since my truck was newer than hers--and we did the same thing, but the parts took 5 months to get in. Again, they only had the truck for a week. Sounds like others are having very different experiences, so I imagine much of this must be up to the individual dealer??
    I called my Toyota dealership and they scheduled an appointment and then called back and cancelled saying they couldn't do it and gave me the information number about the settlement.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

6. Member
    Be interested to hear what ends up happening with that. Are they sending you to a different dealer, or has the window of opportunity closed, or ??

For me it was never about the stopping as I made sure to give myself extra distance and i have disc brakes on my dual axle, its more the power needed for accelerating. I only have the 1 towing instance to compare it to and it wasnt great. The conditions played a huge role in that but I'm hoping thats a situation that doesnt happen often. Ill find out in a few weeks when i make the long drive from Ontario to Arkansas to pick my boat up and then head to Guntersville for a Basscat tourney. Hoping it can handle the crazy distance its about to see!
    Totally agree, but pretty sure the hull on a 21' Bullet weighs about the same as most 17' or 18' aluminum bass boats!

I also don't think the difference between 1/4ton and 1/2ton trucks is always as much as people think. Curb weight on a double cab v6 tacoma is about 4450lb, a 3.5l ecoboost f150 is only 4640lb according to toyotas and Fords websites...I'm not sure you aren't feeling 4-wheel disc brakes more so than the 190lb difference between these two 1/4-ton and a half-ton pickups when it comes to stopping. Yet, there is a crowd of people (not referring to any post, just in general) who wouldn't blink at towing a tank of a 22' glass boat with an f150, but will scream bloody murder if you suggest even a medium-sized glass boat with a tacoma. There's a bigger weight difference between other 1/2-ton vehicles and a tacoma, the point only being that to a degree the generalities don't tell you everything and I think most people exaggerate the differences sometimes--either vehicle within the GCVW will do just fine and be plenty safe.

I believe youre correct on the hammer test looking for weak spots. In my case they didnt need it due to the gaping holes that could fit a baseball through

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    For me it was never about the stopping as I made sure to give myself extra distance and i have disc brakes on my dual axle, its more the power needed for accelerating. I only have the 1 towing instance to compare it to and it wasnt great. The conditions played a huge role in that but I'm hoping thats a situation that doesnt happen often. Ill find out in a few weeks when i make the long drive from Ontario to Arkansas to pick my boat up and then head to Guntersville for a Basscat tourney. Hoping it can handle the crazy distance its about to see!
    I'm sure it wont compare to the v8 I think you've been using, but I have no doubt it would feel like a beast compared to the 4-banger tacoma I've been towing my Pantera with! ;)

10. Member
    Be interested to hear what ends up happening with that. Are they sending you to a different dealer, or has the window of opportunity closed, or ??
    I looked into it and a new recall is just beginning. This settlement will officially be approved in April and then current owners will be getting letters (according to two dealers I spoke with). This is the webpage with all the info. Gonna be a busy summer for Toyota Service stations! http://www.toyotaframesettlement.com

11. Member
    I tow a 19' bass cat pantera classic / Merc Pro XS 200 with my 2007 v6 (4.0L) Tacoma. Have absolutely zero problems. Gas mileage takes a hit, but that has been true on every two vehicle I have used over the years, a Chevy 1500, a Dodge Dakota 318 v8, a ford ranger 4.0 v6, and now this tacoma. The tacoma is better than any of the others in ride quality, stability, creature comforts, etc. It will present no issues. I have towed a 21' boat with it as well, with equally good results. My bass cat does have surge brakes, which all boats really ought to have. Certainly helps on stopping distance.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123