Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I tow my 2003 Skeeter ZX225 with a 2008 Tacoma. You know the boat is back there but I take it easy. The boat trailer has surge brakes which helps a lot with stopping. Not sure how it would be without the surge brakes for stopping. As someone stated above fuel mileage towing SUCKS...
    2014 Phoenix 920 Pro XP 2020 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke

2. Member
    When I had my '06 Ranger Z21 I had to tow with my dads Tacoma one day, when my truck was in the shop for a recall. The Tacoma towed it OK. Had to brake a little early just to be safe, and like everyone said ... the fuel mileage was god awful.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

3. Banned
    Yea. For me it's more about putting 2-3k miles a month driving highways. Maybe tow 2-4 times a month. Figured maybe the driving miles without towing for work would be a big advantage. Plus I'm towing tin.

4. Member
    I tow with my 16 Colorado diesel and basically same thing size wise but diesel. Does just fine. the mid-size newer trucks today have good power and torque. Thing to remember is boat trailer needs brakes and just remember you are lighter and have shorter and narrower wheel base.

5. Banned
    Disregard gents, I'm getting a Tundra. Thanks everyone for your input.

6. Member
    well that is nice. the 18 tundra is what ill be replacing my 16 diesel Colorado with come Fall. Had a 15 and should of kept it. they are real comfortable

7. Member
    I've had both, currently have a Tundra. Both were/are good trucks. The Tundra gets poor gas mileage but that 5.7 pulls like crazy.

8. Banned
    My 06 Tacoma tows my Pantera Classic just fine. Stopping is alright but not the greatest. The only downside is trying to get up to speed on the on ramps can be a bit of a challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TKB View Post
    One thing you will want to do is add the Firestone Air bag kit. It doesn't cost much and is a simple install. It will make towing 10x better.
    TKB - Can you provide some more specific detail on this? Specifically a part number/vendor for this on the 2015 Taco? Appreciate your help.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    TKB - Can you provide some more specific detail on this? Specifically a part number/vendor for this on the 2015 Taco? Appreciate your help.
    Check out http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/suspension-air-bags

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Don't think airbags will be needed unless you are towing something with excessive tongue weight or a lot of equipment in the bed. I have a camper shell and tow my fiberglass boat with very little sag and no bouncing.
    1995 Javelin 400TE w/ 2015 Honda 225
    2001 War Eagle 648 w/ 2001 Honda 50 jet

I got a 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 and it pulls my Skeeter 190X just fine at roughly 16 mpg. Use the ECT Power button to tow it even easier.

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacom...ifference.html

13. Member
    I pull my 2015 Tracker 175 TXW with a 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport v6 with towing package. Hardly know the boat is there but a bit sluggish going up a long steep grade.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    My 06 Tacoma tows my Pantera Classic just fine. Stopping is alright but not the greatest. The only downside is trying to get up to speed on the on ramps can be a bit of a challenge.
    Mines a pantera classic too--nice boat!

I think our boats are similar weight to a lot of larger aluminum bass boats, guessing about 3000lb on the trailer. Ive got surge brakes so never had an issue stopping it. My previous boat was similar size and had no trailer brakes and stopping was also fine--not the same as without a trailer, but not what I would call an issue. Anyway, Im guessing all of these slightly differing opinions are largely based on what you are comparing to and what your expectations are. I see OP got a Tundra, congrats! For anyone else wondering "why not get a 1/2 ton"...well...because you dont need it. But if your expectation is exactly the same performance and feel as a big 1/2 ton, well, then you probably arent going to get that without....wait for it....a big half ton. Different strokes and all...
    image.jpg

I have a Tacoma that I've used to haul my 20'ft cougar once with through the hills of NY state. I've been without the truck for the last 11 months as I was one of the lucky ones to get a new frame installed from the frame perforation recall. I have a 2" lift on it and had a bit of squat but it wasn't too bad. My concern will be towing in elevation and head wind. This particular day was horrible. Along with the elevation and 50mph head wind was rain. I don't remember my milage but I went through 3/4 of a tank in about 60 miles at 60 mph. Do the math. I spoke with Toyota a couple of days ago and looks like I'll be giving up the Silverado I've been spoiled with for 11 months because my truck will finally be ready. I understand you can't compare a mid size and full size truck but it definitely felt under powered. Hopefully my first experience is a one off and every trip won't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Have the Firestones on my 2006 Tacoma.. Pulls my Ranger just fine.. can get 15-16MPH on hwy running 60MPH.. Trailer has brakes which does help..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Quote Originally Posted by Aruss1984 View Post
    I have a Tacoma that I've used to haul my 20'ft cougar once with through the hills of NY state. I've been without the truck for the last 11 months as I was one of the lucky ones to get a new frame installed from the frame perforation recall..
    It took 11 months? They covered the rental-right?

I've got a 2008 Tacoma but I haven't taken mine in yet.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

18. Member
    I looked at 2016 and 2017 tacomas yesterday. I have to say, the interiors and much of the trims looked and felt really cheaply made
    compared to my 2006, which was really a disappointment. I'm also going to compare to the new colorado/canyon diesel and an f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost.

Give yourself plenty of stopping room for a heavy boat will push it a little more than most full size truck. I personally prefer electric trailer brakes. I have a buddy that has pulled a 21 ft bullet all over the country with his without an issue
    Allison XB21 2+2 with Mercury 300R

Yes, they pay $1200/month for it. Ridiculous lol. I would highly recommend getting it looked at because if they close the recall you'll have a $15000 paper weight. Not sure if insurance could be involved at that point. It included all Tacoma from 05-09. If there's a hole bigger than 10mm they're required to replace the frame. I had 3x3 inch holes so it was a no brainer. Don't wait, get it looked at very carefully. Check under the motor mounts t's as well, that's where mine went bad and it's hard to see unless on a hoist
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk Fisherman View Post
    It took 11 months? They covered the rental-right?

I've got a 2008 Tacoma but I haven't taken mine in yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast