Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a new rod for 3/8 to 1/2 ounce jigs.

Hey guys,

When I fish a jig about 85% of the time I fish a 3/8 ounce (1/2 ounce for the other 15%) in 15 feet or less and currently use a g-loomis BCR 803 MossyBack rod. Overall the rod fishes ok but at times (hook-set) it can feel a bit under-powered even with the 3/8 ounce. Thus I am considering a new rod with a bit more power/leverage. I have been reading up on the nrx 853 JWR and per the manufacturer description sounds like it would be the ticket but some reviews have me thinking even with the additional length it might be a bit under-powered as well. So I read up on the 854 and it seems like most feel it would be an overkill for a 3/8 ounce jig which is the size I mostly fish.

Just checking to see if anyone has any experience with the 853 with 3/8 to 1/2 ounce jigs or have any other rod recommendations that would fit the bill that are 6'10" to 7'2" in length (just personal preference on length).

Thanks guys for your help and recommendations, Todd.

Too light in my opinion. Go to the 893.

3. Member
    Consider Loomis 844

4. Member
    http://www.alxrods.com/product/deputy/
    This is my 3/8 to 1/2 jig rod. It has performed flawlessly and exceeded all my expectations. It's not a loomis but this rod is why I have only been buying ALX rods lately. I see we are neighbors so if you ever want to give it a test run let me know, happy hunting.

5. Member
    I owned the BCR 803 in glx for years and it was a stout rod in the upper tip and never did I feel I did not have enough power. Now I own the 893NRX and I would say it has a little less power in the tip but more leverage and fish fighting power. I think if I were you I would look to step up to a 4 power rod.

Coming out of the 803, I find myself liking faster action rods for most t-rig and dragging application. Maybe a fast fine in a pure pitching role. The 4 power rod I use is the 894NRX. Before I got my 893, I was using it even for borderline finesse stuff. Overpowering? Yes, but like you said I want a good hookset.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Todd, if you're looking NRX and you don't want to feel like you're under powered, skip the 3 power, even the 893, and go with the 854. It's by no means overkill for a 3/8 oz jig plus trailer, and it's perfectly fine with 1/2 oz. I prefer the 894, but to stay within your preferred length, the 854 is the way to go. If you end up with a 3 power NRX you're going to feel the same way as you do with the 803 in being under powered. If you want to consider something outside the Loomis line, The Tackle Trap has a bunch of great options available. Here's a link to some like new NRX demo rods that are priced right:

G Loomis NRX Demo Sale @ The Tackle Trap

7. Member
    NRX894 for me all day long.

8. Member
    The nrx 873crr is 1" longer than your 7'2" parameter, but should work really well for your purposes. I prefer it over the 854.

Quote Originally Posted by yudo View Post
    The nrx 873crr is 1" longer than your 7'2" parameter, but should work really well for your purposes. I prefer it over the 854.
    I agree, the 873 is a great choice, but it's 1" longer and even a bit more powerful than the NRX 854c. It sounds like the OP is concerned about having too much power, so I suggested the 854. My top three NRX choices in order for his applications are #1 NRX 894, #2 NRX 873, and a distant #3 NRX 854. The 854 will get the job done, but it's not my favorite in the NRX family.

10. Member
    If it were me, I would go with an NRX 873C CRR. That rod is a fantastic jig rod. I have 2 specifically for jigs.

Save yourself some money and get a Hammer Rod from Tackle Trap in extra heavy. Very nice rod for much less than an NRX. Just know that these rods don't fish like broomsticks like some are used to for jigs and soft plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Save yourself some money and get a Hammer Rod from Tackle Trap in extra heavy. Very nice rod for much less than an NRX. Just know that these rods don't fish like broomsticks like some are used to for jigs and soft plastics.
    This is an option too absolutely. If I was looking to throw 3/8 to max 1/2 oz jigs and considering a Hammer Rod in his specified length range, I'd get the 7' Heavy over the XH. The H is plenty powerful to fish those jigs even around cover, grass, etc... Great rods for the money without a doubt, and easily among the best of the best in the sub $200 category in my opinion.

Hammer Rods family @ The Tackle Trap

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    This is an option too absolutely. If I was looking to throw 3/8 to max 1/2 oz jigs and considering a Hammer Rod in his specified length range, I'd get the 7' Heavy over the XH. The H is plenty powerful to fish those jigs even around cover, grass, etc... Great rods for the money without a doubt, and easily among the best of the best in the sub $200 category in my opinion.

Hammer Rods family @ The Tackle Trap
    True, that heavy action may be their most versatile rod. Seems like it does everything good.

14. Member
    Thanks guys for all of the info, it certainly sounds like if I go with a NRX I need to check out the 873. However I am open to other brands and will certainly check out all the suggestions. Also when they come out I am going to check out the new Megabass XXX JDM rods as the F5-610k Chimaera Orochi specs look good as well. Again thanks for all the information, Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmote View Post
    Thanks guys for all of the info, it certainly sounds like if I go with a NRX I need to check out the 873. However I am open to other brands and will certainly check out all the suggestions. Also when they come out I am going to check out the new Megabass XXX JDM rods as the F5-610k Chimaera Orochi specs look good as well. Again thanks for all the information, Todd.
    Hey Todd - the new Megabass XXX rods look very interesting for sure. If you decide you want to check them out, let me know. A good sized shipment will be showing up at The Tackle Trap sometime in March!

2017 Megabass XXX Rods

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmote View Post
    Based on your specs in your first post and realizing this rod might be a tad longer than you desire, have you check out the Dobyns Extreme HP 743/744 series of rods. I bought mine through Gary and the gang at TT.

17. Member
    Imo the nrx 894 is the best 1/2 jig rod ever made, but it shines from 1/2-3/4 and might be a tad more rod than what youre wanting. As others have said the 873 crr is another great option and might fit your needs better. After using nrx's for my bottom contact presentations im not sure i could ever go back. The 893 is too soft for 1/2 jig imo. It fishes softer than a true mh.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

18. Member
    Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch is a great jig rod, the best i have personally found after trying most of the other rods mentioned on here. Personally im not a fan of the NRX, i have had the 893, 873, 854, and a few others, i think they are over priced, uncomfortable, and tip heavy, but i think im in the minority on that verdict haha. I have 2 of PP with a 3/8oz jig on one, and a 1/2oz on the other at all times.

Kistler KLX 7' 3" Heavy Mod-Fast is my go to jig rod (3/8 -1/2 oz). I've owned the NRX 893, 894, 854, 873...the Hammer 7' 0" Heavy...the Orochi XX Perfect Pitch (2 of them). Just my opinion obviously but I don't see myself trading it for anything else on the market right now.

20. Member
    x2 ALX Deputy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast