Checking Head space on an AR build...

Who does it? Do you use a go - No Go Gauge? Or just use a round in the chamber ? I know it can't be changed and the barrel is junk if it is not right, But I never thought it would be so hard to find someone with a gauge....None of the shops or gunsmiths in the area that I know has one...

2. Member
    Any gunsmith worth his salt should have a .223 5.56 headspace gauge set.

Yes you use a go no go gauge set.

Honestly hardly anyone checks the headspace. The barrel manufacturers that install the barrel into the barrel extension set the headspace. As long as your bolt is built to correct dimensions you will not have a problem. Now if you screwed the barrel into the barrel extension you better gauge it.

I use go and no go gauges. Many will say it's not needed but it's just peace of mind for me. The main thing is the no go gauge or you could use a field gauge. DPMS and I believe even military armorers only use a no go or even a field gauge, they say as long as the round chambers and there not too much headspace the rifle is safe. I have built a rifle that wouldn't close on a go gauge, the lugs would engage about 1/3 of the way. It chambered the round fine and shot and fed flawlessly. After a couple hundred rounds it would close on the go gauge. So I'm comfortable with just check for an oversized chamber as long as the bolt will close on a round.....And remember to remove the ejector and extractor from the bolt!

4. Banned
    Never used one. Of course a few will be along talking about 5.56 vs .223 shortly.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Never used one. Of course a few will be along talking about 5.56 vs .223 shortly.
    they both use the same gauge set.

You should use the size that is marked on the barrel.

7. Member
    No need if you are already buying a good quality Barrel.......most are already QC'd @ the factory for that. if there is one that leave since in a while just out of spec, it happens, but not often.....as I said...from KNOWN, quality manufacturer's.

That could be the reason a lot of Smithy's don't have GNG gauges much anymore. That or if the barrel is not stamped & you need to know WTH it is....that would make a difference.