Carpet glue removal

OK all I just wanted to post because it may be helpful. I have been doing my research for a couple of months now and finally started the replacement of the carpet in my 99 triton. So when it came time to remove the old glue I decided to try oven cleaner. I did not see this recommended anywhere but we used this for glue removal in the body shop all the time and used it to remove the glue from some stripes on another boat. Well on the areas with the backing not stuck with the glue this really worked well. I sprayed it down scraped the bad areas some then used a scotch Brite pad and some soap and water and it was done. I had the whole boat and floor done in a couple hours not the hatches but all the fiberglass and gas tank cover. Best part it was much cheaper then most other stuff people said to use so I am glad I gave this a shot first. Not sure if the results will be the same with all glues but but those doing this job may want to give it a try. Plus it will not hurt your gel coat.

2. Member
    Thanks for posting this, I was just about to make a post about what to use that won't damage the gel. I'm going with sea dek or marine mat so some gel will be visible.

3. Member
    3M adhesive remover in spray can! It will take about 6 cans and then go to Lowes and get a 4" handheld scrapper. Spray the 3M allow to soak and then start going back and forth with the 4 inch blade. Have plenty of wet towels and a 5gallon bucket of hot water to rinse the blade and rag. Do small 12"x12" sections. A 12 pack of cold beer and your done in about 12 hours. Good luck

4. Marty Donlea
    GOOF OFF WORKS REALLY GOOD AND IS PROBABLY CHEAPER. HOME DEPOT IT LIKE $19 A GALLON. DID A 20' BOAT AND USED ABOUT 1/2 A GALLON.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I was just about to make a post about what to use that won't damage the gel. I'm going with sea dek or marine mat so some gel will be visible.
    Are you going to do your whole boat in it ? I'm in the process looking for something besides carpet but I still want something that looks nice and I can wash out because I Crappie and cat fish also.

6. Member
    2nd on the "Goof Off" - I used it on my boat and it works awesome!

7. Member
    3rd on the Goof Off, paid <$20 per gallon, but used 2 gallons. Then again, I didn't need to remove all the old glue, jsut the carpet (I used Weldwood contact cement, jsut like the factory).