Mounting a Hummingbird 997 SI Transducer in a ZX190

I have ordered a new Skeeter ZX190 with a Lowrance 520C so it will have a tranduscer mounted in the bilge for it. I am looking to add a Humingbird 997SI in the future.

Should I get the thru-hull transducer or the transome mount?

Does anyone have both types installed in the bilge?

Re: Mounting a Hummingbird 997 SI Transducer in a ZX190 (SSykes)

I ordered a 797c2 si yesterday, but I think I'll be hanging the transducer where the lowrance is now on my transom. just keep in mind that if you do a shoot through you won't get a good temp reading, you'll have to run a separate sensor to your jack plate or somewhere for water temp. personally I think the shoot through is the way to go, but since there is already a transducer mounted on my transom I'll just replace it with the new one....guess I'm too lazy to clean & epoxy in my bilge!

so the new boats have them mounted as a shoot through? interesting, but then again what do I know! they've prolly been doing it for a few years now.

Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!

3. Member
    yes most boats now if ordered with a depth finder will have a shoot through. They actually drill out about 1/2 for the depth of the hull and epoxy it down in that hole. I hear they get good results which is why I ordered mine with it installed so I wouldn't have to do it.

I hear that some people mount the Hummingbird off of the jackplate. Does anyone have pictures of that type of installation? I hate to drill holes in my new boat as soon as I get it.

4. Member

Re: (SSykes)

I don't think it's possible to mount the "SI" transducer in a shoot-thru application. I'm pretty sure most guys that want to be able to get sonar reading while on pad are mounting a second traditional type, shoot thru hull transducer (Not a SI type) in the bilge area. They install a switch, or y-cable to switch between the (2).

I recently installed a "SI" unit in my boat. I just installed the SI transducer on the jack plate, and I also left my Lowrance unit in place with shoot-thru transducer. I just use the Lowrance unit when I'm on pad (The HB unit's sonar features are useless when running on pad). It works fine for me. I also have dual gps units at the bow this way. It's pretty handy at times.

Maybe they have come out with something new in the recent months to allow mounting a SI ducer in the bilge??? If so, I haven't heard of it yet.

Oh yeah....You don't have to drill <U>ANY</U> holes to mount the transducer on the jack plate. You use an existing hole. I don't have any pictures. But, i'm sure someone will come along shortly that will.

5. Member

Re: (looking4five)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by looking4five &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think it's possible to mount the "SI" transducer in a shoot-thru application. I'm pretty sure most guys that want to be able to get sonar reading while on pad are mounting a second traditional type, shoot thru hull transducer (Not a SI type) in the bilge area. They install a switch, or y-cable to switch between the (2).

I recently installed a "SI" unit in my boat. I just installed the SI transducer on the jack plate, and I also left my Lowrance unit in place with shoot-thru transducer. I just use the Lowrance unit when I'm on pad (The HB unit's sonar features are useless when running on pad). It works fine for me. I also have dual gps units at the bow this way. It's pretty handy at times.

Maybe they have come out with something new in the recent months to allow mounting a SI ducer in the bilge??? If so, I haven't heard of it yet.

Oh yeah....You don't have to drill <U>ANY</U> holes to mount the transducer on the jack plate. You use an existing hole. I don't have any pictures. But, i'm sure someone will come along shortly that will.</TD></TR></TABLE>
    Sounds like you pretty well nailed it. Mount your S/I ducer on the J/P. If I had it to do over again,I would have the factory install a regular HB puck transducer when the boat was being built, even tho mine does work pretty good, for an aftermarket job.