Linkage question 200 Optimax

I've got a question in regards to my shifter linkage on my 07, 200 Optimax....(1B529036). I've owned it going on three seasons and for the most part when the water is cold it's done this every year but not to the extent that it's doing it this year. When I back it off the trailer the linkage has a mind of its own, sometimes going into reverse and staying there no matter what or it goes into forward while in the reverse position or it does nothing at all.........then all of a sudden it's right as rain and doesn't act up the rest of the day. Like I said earlier it seems to only do it in cold water. Today the water was in the low 40's and it acted up bad just off the trailer, then it cleared up. When I got home I put it on muffs and it operated just fine.......any ideas?

2. Member
    Nevermind, Ill take it to my dealer..............

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's make sure I understand the question correctly: You're indicating that sometimes when you shift into reverse, the engine goes into FORWARD?

If so- this would VERY likely be a problem in the CONTROL BOX. Definitely something I would get addressed ASAP (before running again).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor