2010 Pro XS no tell tale stream

2010 Pro XS serial #1B759032
    Last October while running I noticed my water pressure had dropped,when I sat down I noticed water coming out from under my cowl.After pulling the cowl off I found the hose to the flush out had a leak in it.Iwrapped it up best as I could and eased back to the ramp watching the smartgauge temp the whole way ,never got over 125 degrees the whole time.Replaced the hose and hooked the muffs to it to check for any leaks.Everything looked fine and motor was peeing.Never ran the boat again.The boat has set in my basement over the winter.Pulled it out Friday to put fuel in as planning to go Sat.Before I backed it in I hooked the muffs on it just to check.After a couple minutes of running,no tail tale stream and I noticed the temp reading going up.Shut it off.I talked to my friend that has been in the Bass boat business for at least 20 years from the service dept to sales and he thinks the thermostats are stuck closed from setting for three months and not getting enough water pressure from the muffs to open them.Sould I hook hose to the flush out and run it ,or take to the lake and run it for a minute or two to see if they will open up.Like I said everything was fine until it sat for three months and not run Any help will be fully appreciated!Mike

2. Member

3. Member
    UP date on problem.Hooked hose to flush out inlet.Strong tell tail stream,motor ran up to 127 degrees then settled on 120.Then hooked up to muffs no stream and temp starts creeping up.Would cooling water strainer cause this or has my water pump go bad?Like to thank Savage for his help

4. Member
    Contrary to the owners manual, you should never run the motor while hooked up solely to the flush port. Have you ever cleaned the compressor strainer? If the answer is No, then it needs done now.

5. Member
    I had this issue today......no stream. Put it on the trailer and came right back home. I guess yesterday when I beached to go get the truck I sucked up some gravel. I quickly noticed the hole had some gravel/sand in it. After I got home, I pulled the strainer and flushed the engine.......then I pulled the hose leading to the pee-hole and flushed it as well. Lastly I pulled the lower unit and decided to change the impeller because I had a spare and the gaskets in the shop. I found the inside of the LU filled with small/fine gravel and a few pieces inside the water pump. I cleaned everything out, replaced the impeller and she is back in business. If it were me, I'd check that impeller as well as the T-stats.

6. Member
    What about the impeller itself. Your motor is 7 years old. It should have had 6 impeller replacements by now (once yearly). Has that been done?
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    What about the impeller itself. Your motor is 7 years old. It should have had 6 impeller replacements by now (once yearly). Has that been done?
    +1

ANYTIME you have a cooling system problem, ALWAYS, ALWAYS start AT THE SOURCE: The Water Pump.

That's almost certainly where your problem is.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    You will be amazed what a motor can ingest. 10-15 years ago my brother-in-law bought a 16' bass boat from someone on the Mississippi gulf coast. Had an older Johnson 88 spl motor. Didn't run right. He pulled it up to Birmingham and asked me to take a look. After fixing a half-dozen things (enricher solenoid, plugs, etc) I decided that I had better give the lower unit a once-over and replace the impeller as well. Lower unit had water, but gears looked fine, so got that back together. Then started to remove lower unit. FAIL. Thing seemed to be brazed on it was so tight. I spent a day heating, PB blasting, tapping with dead blow hammer, etc. FINALLY produced a small crack between lower unit and mid-section. Once I finally got driveshaft to disengage from the engine, down it came. And out came 10-15 pounds of pure white beach sand. I was so astounded I sat there for 5-10 minutes staring and thinking "how in the hell did THIS happen?" My wife stopped by as she was getting in her car and said something like "OK, where's the sandbox, I see the sand?" This appeared to have been ingested through the water pump, circulated through the block, down the mid-section where it collected Motor wouldn't run was the reason he brought it up to me. Reason was, apparently, ultra-high back-pressure caused by sand blocking the exhaust path downward. In looking at the boat, the keel was certainly "well-sanded" probably from lots of beachings on the coast. Plowing up sand. No lower water inlets, but they found a way.

I did a good bit of flushing backward and forward and probably pushed out a cup or two of sand that was trapped in nooks and crannies in the block/exhaust/etc. BTW the impeller had paddles that were about 1/16" long. Nubs. Water pump housing looked like it had been neatly cleaned with pretty course emory cloth on an electric drill. It eventually cranked and ran just fine. Not to mention being 10-15 pounds lighter with all the sand extracted...

"things that make you go hmmmm..."
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200