MinnKota 330PC keeps tripping GFI breaker

New boat new charger wired with minnkota 2 bank alternator charger. Cranking battery is X2 AGM and trolling are everstart maxx 29. Charger trips GFI every time i try to charge after a few hours. Called minn kota and new one does the exact same thing. Have a freind with a 4 bank pc and his does the same thing on his new boat. Minnkota says not a widespread problem but i think i should have bought a lottery ticket. Anybody else have one tripping GFI everytime?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Have you tried it on another GFCI?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Replaced GFI it was on. Tried it on another circuit that has a pc 345 that is doing fine. Still same results with the pc 330.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthomasIV View Post
    Replaced GFI it was on. Tried it on another circuit that has a pc 345 that is doing fine. Still same results with the pc 330.
    Install a master power switch on your boat and make sure its turned off when you charge.

5. Member
    What's the amp rating on the GFI breaker

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    reposted below.....
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 02-19-2017 at 07:57 PM.

7. Member
    20 amp GFI. Master power switch is off as well as trolling motor breaker. Had five other minnkota precision chargers (one now on another boat that has never had an issue in this garage). It has to be a charger issue or the alternator charger causing this.

8. Member
    Your GFI receptacle is likely a Class A GFCI with a 5mA leakage trip current. It is very sensitive and can be tripping especially under heavier loads. Class A units are required in places such as bathrooms and kitchens ( and are important for safety around docks, boats and marine environments.)

In an outdoor outlet or garage having a rain soaked vehicle you may be required by local code to use a GFCI. You may also by local code be able to use one with a 30mA leakage trip current.... an ELCI.......https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1381

These may be better suited for protection of sometimes damp marine and large amperage equipment and though less safe, are much less sensitive to false tripping.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 02-19-2017 at 08:04 PM.

9. Member
    Also heard they have been replacing minnkota chargers pretty regularly at the elite series this year. Gonna unplug the alternator charger before i try recharging after next trip. Strange thing is when it trips during the middle of the night batteries are almost charged. Minnkota says that these chargers should never pull more amps than other times during the charge cycle. Again, have another boat with a 6 month old pc 345 (which is a 15 amp charger that has never tripped this circuit.)

10. Member
    Minnkota says that these chargers should never pull more amps than other times during the charge cycle.
    I understand what you are saying MinnKota says, but I would be surprised to find that correct.