Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Member
    Great thread with a ton of good information. I am a bird man and was just over here looking at images to compare products. Great information here that can be used for all brands. Thanks to all that contributed

2. Member
    up
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    Sure wished he would have finished this thread on down and side viw, excellent information.

4. Member
    I miss the info Larry3215 shared with the community.
    Anyone heard from him?
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    I miss the info Larry3215 shared with the community.
    Anyone heard from him?
    Mssg'd with him a bit after he left--and before quite a bit. He was certainly an asset as stated. Sometimes things just happen, lines get crossed.. Leonard is very helpful and Wayne and Bob pop in with stuff too. Most things get answered w/o issue so all is well. But, agree with you.

6. Member
    Hi Larry, I realize this post is a few years old but I did have a specific question that I didn't see answered in this great discussion thread.

Did you purposely intend to draw the fish arch at 10ft thicker than the arch at 20ft, and 30ft? In other words are you saying the deeper you go the arches will be taller, wider, but also skinnier? I realize this might be a trivial question/answer for those that are very well versed with sonars, but for a fairly new fellow like me, I am still trying to confirm a few last details.

Thanks a ton,
    Sonar Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    I forgot one more point. Look at the arches at the top of the 77 side vrs the bottom of the 77 side. The fish at the top of the screen look smaller, but they could be the same size as the ones at the bottom. The top arches are shorter because they enter the cone later and leave the cone sooner than the deeper fish.

Here is another drawing to show what can happen with fish stacked up vertically.

Again, these three fish are all exactly the same size and stacked up vertically, but it doesnt look like that on the screen.

Attachment 271743Attachment 272006

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    "The top arches are shorter because they enter the cone later and leave the cone sooner than the deeper fish."

YOu missed this sentence.

the transducer shoots a signal much like a flashlight. Shine a flashlight at the wall standing 10' away then back up to 20' away and the area of light on the wall is larger than that of the 10' cone. A transducer shoots the signal down and it bounces back up continuously which is then interpreted on your screen. Of course this scenario is with the boat moving forward at a constant speed idling.

Imagine you had 3 pictures hanging on the wall in the same line horizontally but with space between them. YOu shine the flashlight at the center picture standing 10' away and you may only see a bit of each of the other two but when you back up to 30' you may see all 3 of the pictures. That's what a transducer sees and send back to your MFD. BUT..like the flashlight may only have the brightest light near the center allowing you to see full detail of the center picture and the outside ones are not as bright with less detail yur transducer signal works the same way...

The fish that is closest to the surface is in the flashlight cone less time than the fish 30' deep. And again the author is assuming all three fish are the same size and not moving simply to use as an example of how the MFD pings and depicts these signal on your screen. And yes, the fish closest to the surface will be a shorter and fatter signal return than that of the fish in 30' of water.

If you were anchored in one spot over one single fish and neither of you were moving then the signal would be a straight line at the depth the fish was suspended at. Your screen is re-drawing what it is pinging back to the unit time after time and that single fish is interrupting that signal therefore the MFD draws that disrupted signal as a straight line.

I know I'm not using the proper technical words describing this situation.
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 09-13-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    So YES the author intended to draw the arches that way
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    I can see that the top arch is shorter, but I wanted to know if its thicker. I did read the flash-light stuff, and didn't miss it, I understand all of that. That just said, this one little piece I did seem to miss: "the fish closest to the surface will be a shorter and fatter signal return".

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

EDIT - and this might be a thread that is a few years old now, but it is fantastic. It's the kind you can come back to read every year and likely still say "ahhh right yeah". Thanks a ton.
    Last edited by SonarSentinel; 09-13-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567