e-tec 150 opinions

I am looking for opinions on 2008 e-tec 150 saltwater, the good and possible bad. I am looking at a 2008 ranger reata with that motor and don't know much about e-tecs. The motor has 219 hours and the rig seems to have been well taken care of. Also has ilink guages. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Member
    my brother in law just dropped the hammer on a 2009 150ho etec with a little over 300 hours. we have had it out a couple of times and it ran flawless.the only problem the previous owner had was the starter,and it was replaced under warranty.you can google the etec engines and you will find more good than bad.of course you are always going to have people bash them.thanks and good luck
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Quote Originally Posted by turtle101 View Post
    I am looking for opinions on 2008 e-tec 150 saltwater, the good and possible bad. I am looking at a 2008 ranger reata with that motor and don't know much about e-tecs. The motor has 219 hours and the rig seems to have been well taken care of. Also has ilink guages. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
    best motor I've ever owned. If I come back I will only buy a Etec G2.

4. Member
    I have a friend with the 150 HO 2010 and he loves it never had a problem

I have an 09 150 HO and love it. Tho only issue I have had was last summer I lost an injector. Sips fuel and oil and runs great.
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

I have a 2013 E150HSLAAB...the S in the model number is for Saltwater Approved. It has never seen saltwater only freshwater. If my memory is correct its a couple of parts under the hood and something on the tilt pivot arm that is stainless steel to help prevent corrosion. This is what makes it saltwater approved. Otherwise its the same as a freshwater/regular E-TECH. Since day one it has seen nothing but 89 pure gas. It calls for 87 octane and you can run 10% ethanol but I choose to run 89 pure gas because I can find 89 in pure gas but not 87. I run nothing but XD100 oil. Every tank I run Evinrude 2 + 4 Fuel Treatment and twice a year I run a tank with Evinrude Carbon Guard. Change the lower unit oil and fuel filter every winter and that is pretty much my maintenance routine. I have had zero issues out of mine.

I ran a Ficht 150 for 14 years and re-powered with the E-TECH 150 HO. To compare the two motors I would say the E-TECH 150 HO definitely has more power but it should because the Ficht was 150 HP whereas the E-TECH 150 HO is actually closer to 165 HP. As for oil consumption the E-TECH uses a lot less oil than my previous motor. As for fuel consumption it is good on fuel consumption but it does not get as good of a fuel mileage as my Ficht. However that is no concern because I have had more than one person tell me my Ficht got freakishly great fuel mileage.

Long story short the E-TECH 150 HO is a good motor. I will soon have mine 3 years and I have zero complaints...as with any motor manufacture proper maintenance goes a long way with keeping it in top condition.