RT188 gas struts installation video for front storage lids

This should hold me for a while...

My final task this weekend was installing the gas struts "gshellems" first introduced photo's of on here. I wasn't able to duplicate his install but got them in and working great! Thanks again to everyone that shares tips, techniques and information on here, slowly but surely my RT is evolving into my perfect boat!

Enjoy

2. Member
    Nice

Another good video!
    What size is your shop? Im building one this year and thinking about a 30x40 for the boat and daughters car.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

4. Member
    Shop is currently 24x36 but I will be expanding to 36x48. It's amazing how fast they shrink!

The previous owner built mine and it was wrong from the foundation up unfortunately. First advice is do not skimp on vapor barrier under your floor or you will have moisture problems forever!

5. Member
    Loved watching your video! I loved how you got it to work by turning the bracket around. I thought about that when I dry fitted but I didn't think there would be enough room. Mine just clears the gasket and doesn't rub. I too would have preferred to use nuts on the bottom bracket but I used some big self tappers and they're rock solid. If they ever do loosen up, I can always go in through the TM peddle tray to access the underside and get nuts on them. Funny, I also did the exact same thing with the PVC to hold up the lid. Great minds! Great job on the install! It's so cool to see everyone helping each other out and sharing ideas. That's what I love about this site! I've gotten so much out of this site and I try to share when I can. Again, great video and thanks for the shout out!
    Humminbird 999SI(con) & 899SI(bow) interlinked
    Ultrex 80
    10' Talon, Hydrowave, Mercmonitor, Bluewater LEDs, Motormate

6. Member
    Question. Do the lids open to a full straight up position? If not does it hinder getting big items in and out of compartment?

7. Member
    No, they're not straight up there's a slight angle, which is good if you have rods on the deck. I have a large tote that I keep soft plastics in and I have no problem getting it in and out. It's really about the perfect position. You could change the angle if you wanted to by mounting bracket on the lid lower.
    Ultrex 80

8. Member
    Agreed! From the top of the deck to the bottom of the lid it measures 21 inches. It's a great angle for not knocking rods overboard and still being able to get larger items in and out. I couldn't think of anything so big I couldn't put it in there? I use several of the 3 inch deep Plano boxes and can take them out and put them in from front to back with zero issues...actually, it's easier now that I don't have to balance the lid at the same time!

I am also convinced now that the factory shocks on the rod locker box are in upside down and I will be flipping those over so the big end is up! Those side compartments open and close WAY better and that has to be due to proper installation...we'll see.

gshellems: Thanks to editing it looks like I came to that decision fairly quickly but I went around that one for about 20 minutes! Even got right up to about to drill the hole and stepped back before finally deciding to flip them. Accessorizing is fun but drilling and cutting definitely carries some stress with it :)

Thank you again for sharing! A shout out was the least I could do.

I did all LED lights across the back too but it just sort of happened after I unboxed the first one and I didn't get it on video...

9. Member
    My rod locker shocks were big side up from the factory, that's why I did mine that way. Be curious to see if that makes a difference for you. I figured it would work the same either way.
    Ultrex 80

10. Member
    Found this on youtube.

11. Member
    I had my boat out on the water today and it was a whole new world not having to hold the side box open while I re-rigged! I wish I had installed these the day I picked it up!
    Last edited by 8theB8; 03-05-2017 at 10:39 AM.

12. Member
    What are your guys thoughts on putting two on each lid?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    What are your guys thoughts on putting two on each lid?
    Unnecessary! In the video I made I pondered mounting mine right in front of the console and found that it would either hit the fiberglass of the console OR the rubber gasket of the box. Thanks to editing it looks like this took about 5 minutes but in reality I sat there trying to decide for about 30! If I mounted it in a position that wouldn't hit there, the box would have only opened about half way, no good. One of these struts is more than strong enough and the end they are mounted on is the best spot for this particular size strut.

Now, if you wanted to go to a longer strut then you may be able to pull off two and still keep the lid from opening all the way and knocking rods overboard but the strut would still be in your way if you were reaching into the box from the console end of the rod locker and I still feel it would hit at that end regardless....make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    Found this on youtube.

Thank You. We just got our RT188. The center rod locker struts were mounted from factory upside down. When you opened the lid if you let go it would slap at the top. Turned them around and it goes up nice and smooth now.

I had read about Ranger doing that (here on BBC) so first thing at the dealers I opened it up and let him see. He said I was crazy....in theory a gas shock is a gas shock....which is hard to argue without the correct information. I didn't know why, just knew it would fix it. I waited until I got home and fixed it, I should have done it at the dealer to show him.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

15. Member
    Installed mine yesterday. Greatly appreciate the great detail provided from members. They work great and will make getting things in and out of those compartments much nicer. Tight-lines this spring!
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

16. Member

17. Member
    Great work