2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS

Taking the boat out tomorrow on its maiden voyage. Just to summarize what has been read in the manual and read in this forum about the break in. I am apprehensive about this whole thing.

Book says, for the first 2 hours, vary the engine up to 4500 RPM (3/4 throttle) and at full throttle for 1 minute every 10 minutes.

Forum says the same thing above but adds keep motor trimmed down, warm up the engine for 5 minutes or more before taking off and have at least one cool down during the first two hours.

Water temp in north Louisiana is 55+.

Did I miss anything? Any suggestions?
    Wettin hooks and huntin fish.

2. Member
    Do what the sticky states.
    If you trim the motor all the way up the break-in counter may NOT count down.
    Last edited by Savage; 02-19-2017 at 08:23 AM.

3. Member
    You don't trim it over vertical for the first two hours since your trying to load the motor to wear in the rings.

First 2 hours are completed. Everything went well. Now for the next eight.

Would it void the warranty if I changed oil myself after the 10 break in?
    Wettin hooks and huntin fish.

5. Member
    No.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Certainly won't. Just make sure you use the RIGHT oil, RIGHT filter, and perform the task correctly (any errors in those areas could affect a future claim).

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Moving your thread to the 4-stroke forum for ya.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise2u View Post
    First 2 hours are completed. Everything went well. Now for the next eight.

Would it void the warranty if I changed oil myself after the 10 break in?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought (if the oil looked fine and the level wasn't going high or low) the first oil change wasn't until 20 hours?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    20 hours is the suggested interval for the first oil change (and gear lube).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor