Broken steering cable AGAIN.

I have a motorguide tour82. This makes the second time my cable has broken in less than a year. Really thinking about going with a Minn Kota. Before I swap, does motor Guide make a better cable than their stock cable ? OR is the newer motor guide cable system any better? Really don't like how high the Minn Kota sits in the stowed position. Thanks for any help.

well Only have owned 0ne and still use a 1989 OEM OMC 12/24v , that came with my 1989 stratos will be 28 yrs old this march. in those 28 yrs only had to replace the 12v bulb and re glue the pointer glass on top ..did that 3 yrs ago. and still haven't bought a spare prop yet. and never did anything with the foot control.as like moving it around.. comfort ya know

3. Member
    If your foot control is bolted down, maybe you have a twist between the pedal and the motor head. Remove foot pedal and make sure it aligns with motor head before bolting it back down.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    post some pics of the pulleys and the angle of the cables as they are routed thru the front and around each pulley. My new 2013 tour 82# broke a cable the first year and when I examined it closely there was a groove worn in the outer sheathing at eh end where the inner cable came out of it. The angle was off as it moved in and out of the sheathing onto the pulley. I forget what I did though to correct that. Oh and also when I pulled the clamshell apart on the head to get at the cables I noticed that whoever wrapped the cable at eh factory around the grooved spindle did it backwards. I always wondered why the steering felt harder one way over the other. Bought 2 spares and packed them on trips as a just in case but never wore another one out after that.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    If the footpedal is recessed, the angle could be binding, plastic pulleys allows the cables to jump off and bind, twisted cables are also a problem
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    good point on the twist. When I placed my tour pedal on the deck I stretched it out first and allowed it to turn in my hand the way it wanted to and then carefully made the bend and laid it down. I did that in the stowed and deployed position to be sure it felt the same both ways. You can "feel" where it wants to be.

And my pulleys are metal
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Removed trolling motor already, so can't post pictures. It was probably due to the angle of the foot rest. It is recessed. So, I decided to go with a Minn Kota Fourtrax. $1300 later get home and excited about the new purchase and the damn thing is missing the 5/16th allen screw that holds the motor to the mounting bracket. Would anyone know the length of the screw that holds the two together? Bought it from Bass pro and they are an hour away. Going to try and find a screw at a local hardware, if not, packing it back up and off to Bass Pro we go. I should have just waited and ordered one through Jones Trolling motors. Thanks

8. Member
    Look in the bow guard or whatever it's called. It's already there. It's not a loose item in a baggie.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    10/4. Looked there. Went to bass pro and they gave me one out of the floor model.

10. Member
    oh wow...it wasn't in the shaft knuckle?? dam!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    oh wow...it wasn't in the shaft knuckle?? dam!
    on the Fortrex, it is already threaded into the rope guide with some warning labels hanging off it. The bow guard doesn't have threads.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    sorry that's what i meant
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    On the Tour you have to watch your cables on those pulleys if you do not keep a check on those they will pop quick. Also adjust the tensions screws tighten enough to keep slack off. Also on mine I actually put a couple of washers under my pedal to raise it up that keeps the pulleys up off the bottom a little farther so if you end of with a pebble, sinker or anything else that could get under and bind on the cable.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    I have a motorguide tour82. This makes the second time my cable has broken in less than a year. Really thinking about going with a Minn Kota. Before I swap, does motor Guide make a better cable than their stock cable ? OR is the newer motor guide cable system any better? Really don't like how high the Minn Kota sits in the stowed position. Thanks for any help.
    Something is wrong with your motor. I rebuilt several Tour Edition motors with never a problem with the cables. Are you pulleys the stainless kind of plastic. Talk to John at JonesTM and he will fix you up.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Removed trolling motor already, so can't post pictures. It was probably due to the angle of the foot rest. It is recessed. So, I decided to go with a Minn Kota Fourtrax. $1300 later get home and excited about the new purchase and the damn thing is missing the 5/16th allen screw that holds the motor to the mounting bracket. Would anyone know the length of the screw that holds the two together? Bought it from Bass pro and they are an hour away. Going to try and find a screw at a local hardware, if not, packing it back up and off to Bass Pro we go. I should have just waited and ordered one through Jones Trolling motors. Thanks
    Are you getting rid of your Tour? Contact me..

16. Member
    Keeping it for a spare.