long range shots

Never been a photographer,but the state built a wetland below my house.I'm wondering what it would cost to get a camera and lens that can take pictures anywhere from 200yards to 500 yards.I'm holding 300 geese and 300 ducks,and I would really like to get some close up pictures.Didn't want to spend over $1,000. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    200 to 500 yards is a long way for a camera and lens for less than $1,000. For less than $1,000, get a used camera and as long of a lens you can get like this kit on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D7000-...gAAOSwNRdX5dGB

Then (and I don't mean to sound like a wise ass) add a blind and get closer.

3. Member
    Here is a start. Add your own body or buy a used one. You may be able to buy the lens used at a lower cost also.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5_6_3_di.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5_6_3_di.html

4. Member
    How about a telescope that has an adapter to fit an DSLR? I have heard they exist but have never used one.

[IMG][/IMG]

There is a little bit of misconception when talking about long len's for birds... the original poster wants a camera and lens to photograph Geese and other birds from a distance of " anywhere from 200yards to 500 yards". The best way to get photos of those birds is to get closer to them. Long lens' not only capture the birds, but also the "Atmospherics" like, heat haze, Humidity and other things.

Don't get me wrong... you still need a long lens, but you also need to get close to the birds.

The above photo was shot with me sitting at the waters edge and the Geese around 40 yards from me and with the rising sun at my back.
    Gear for you to look at would be the Nikon D7000 and Nikon 300mm f/4. The 300mm lens would be the shortest I would go. Look used of course.

450mm
    1/1000s
    ISO-400
    f/6
    -0.3 Exp Comp
    Nikon D3s
    Last edited by SoonerCharlie; 02-18-2017 at 06:10 PM.

6. Member
    LM BASS ANGLER I agree the tamron 150-600 put it on a Nikon d500 big bucks but worth every penny

7. Member
    Another thought, though not a purist's camera, are the 'Bridge' cameras, like the Nikon CoolPix P900. 83x zoom. Fun camera for about $600. Sooner Charlie is correct on atmospherics with max zoom, so best to be closer when possible. Read the reviews for cameras on your short list and go to your local camera store - not a big box retailer for some one-on-one consultation. Good luck.

8. Member
    i agree with what skeeter said about the bridge cameras. you can hardly buy enough lens to equal these cameras.