throttle / shifter control

Im having issues with our shifter/throttle control on our boat. Last year it started not going into neutral allowing to rev up the engine. The father in law ( owner ) messed with it to try and free up the neutral button, now the shifter wont engage into reverse and while in forward the lever doesnt push as far forward as it used to before it was messed with. My two questions are

1- is the control rebuildable
    2- if replacing which model would i need to replace it with?

Mercury OB332254

1984 ranger 373V
    Frank Duffy

Harris Teeter Pro Staff

2. Member
    prob could be repaired although they can be a pain / try and find a newer 3000 box they are pretty good controls
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suggest posting a picture of your current control. Important to know whether you have a dash-mounted keyswitch, or a CONTROL mounted keyswitch.

Several options on the newer shift assemblies.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

After further review the lower unit is toast. Pulled plug to change oil and full of water, the magnet is full of metal debris.
    What does a lower unit run to rebuild or swap out one already rebuilt.
    Frank Duffy

Harris Teeter Pro Staff

It is a side panel mount with remote key on the dash.
    Frank Duffy

Harris Teeter Pro Staff

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would want to email the Parts Department for any pricing questions.

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor