115 optimax question

I have a 2011 optimax 115 hp. Would it be ok to remove the torque tab permanently? I am almost certain it does not provide any anode protection.
    2011 Z6, 2011 115 optimax

2. Member
    I wouldn't remove it. It does provide some protection,it can also keep the prop from cavitating due to sucking air through that open hole. If your fin is hitting a new prop blade,you can safely saw off just the fin.

I wouldn't remove altogether. If you have hydraulic steering you can REPLACE with flat anode. If you have cable steering it is important to keep because it acts as a torque tab.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

4. Banned
    Why are you thinking of doing this?

5. Member
    Chris Bailey's foil I purchased won't install with the trim tab on. My fault as I didn't tell him when I ordered it.

According to what i have read it provides zero anode protection. It has paint on it from the factory and that would defeat the purpose of cathodic protection if the anode is painted. I was really making sure the only function is to hide prop torque. If doesn't do something unforseen there is no point in buying a flat tab that bailey's foil would cover over.
    2011 Z6, 2011 115 optimax

6. Member
    anode for corrosion
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What type of steering do you have (cable or hydraulic)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor