What are the optons for the internet while on the road ?

In a month or so my wife and I are going to be traveling in our truck camper for the next 6 months or so. Mostly state parks and couple of months boondocking in Montana and Idaho. We will need the internet while out on the road. What is best way to get connected while on the road and staying in campgrounds.
    Thanks Rob
    1995 Ranger R72
    1995 Evinrude 115 Intruder
    S/N G03897455
    model# E115GLEOC

2. Banned
    We are full timers and use Verizon Hotspot where ever we get a signal.In RV Parks we use there wifi or Verizon Hotspot.Its been working for us now for 6 yrs.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Talk to your cell provider. But out west you will be lucky to get service many places.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. wsimpson
    We used an AT&T wifi router (hotspot) and also tethered to our individual iPhones (hotspot)...

5. Banned
    Most commercial campgrounds are wired for WIFI now. State and U.S. parks are less likely to have wifi.

I often will go into a restaurant like Taco Bell, KFC or McDonalds to pickup an internet signal. I've also been known to pull up under a motel's canopy and sign into their internet. Another trick is to ask a desk clerk if you can use their business room--and use their computer.

I use my Verizon I-phone as a mobile hot spot and it is rare not to get a good enough signal to work well. Unless you have a lot of data, however, you have to be careful what you are doing on the internet. Streaming video or audio can use a lot of data .... just the basic email and browsing don't use much. If you use Facebook, use the option to turn off automatically playing videos.
    On a trip form out west, at one point we were traveling way out in the boonies and my daughter was watching an online video in the back seat.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

7. Banned
    I use the Verison Jetpack. It gets a signal anywhere. I quit the hotspot deal about three years ago. It is not reliable enough. No matter where I go I have internet and my laptop works great with the Jetpack.

8. Member
    We use AT&T tethering for our main Internet access. We travel between Fl. and Mn. seasonally and we always
    take the long way (e.g. Fl. to Mn. via Ca., etc.). Coverage generally very good (tough at Yellowstone) and we boondock (I love WalMart) a lot.
    (we have a '94 R72 and our TC is a Lance, btw.)
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

9. Member
    I do all my internet on my ipad. My ipad has the Verizon LTE and it is super fast. I have the share everything plan with it and my iphone with 12 gigs data. Like Bob B said if you have a smart phone use the wifi hotspot on it to run a tablet off it. My verizon service has worked way back in the Colorado mountains when i was elk hunting.

Been using a Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE. works really well. Using "Dish Anywhere", I can connect to my home DVR and watch recorded shows/movies and can also watch any channel that I have available at the house.

As others have stated... They eat data alive! Make sure you have the correct data plan or be in for a big surprise when you get the bill...

11. Member

12. Member
    Here's what we use in our RV to boost our cell signal:
    https://store.weboost.com/products/drive4g-x-otr

It pulls in a strong signal even in very fringe areas, where you would normally not be able to even make a call or send a text. We are on Verizon and use the phones as hotspots with the booster to connect our computers to the internet.
    John