Banned

Everything happens for a reason, aka God's plan

I have been fighting degenerative hip disease for quite some time now, and finally decided enough was enough and it needed to be replaced. I drive a truck, so planning something like this is a complicated ordeal involving lots of phone calls. The plan called for working through the Christmas holidays, having surgery on Jan. 4 and being home recuperating when my 2 college age daughters were home and could ferry me to therapy.

I got home the night of Jan 2, and started to get things together for post surgery life. On Jan 3 at 11am, my orthopedic surgeon's office called to tell me the insurance company denied my claim and cancelled surgery because I had not tried therapy first. Mind you, my doctor and I discussed this over a year ago and decided against it because it would do no good given my hip condition. All of the usual thoughts overwhelmed me - frustration, anger and helplessness. The office lady was nice and understanding, but I wasn't. She told me the doctor was calling to conference with the insurance and would call me back. Over the next 4 hours, I rearranged and redid all of the plans that were so carefully made previously. We got approval, but surgery couldn't happen for another 2 weeks. OK, we'll do it on January 16.

Back to the truck, worked for 2 weeks and came home more than ready. Surgery day rolls around, and while in pre-op, my pastor comes by for a prayer and visit. He informs me that one of our members fell and broke her leg,and was here in the hospital. It so happens that she is a very dear friend that I talked to a lot after her husband of 60 years passed. She and I just clicked, and we spoke often at church. My present job keeps me on the road constantly, so talking to her became infrequent other than messages relayed by my wife from church services. Surgery goes off without a hitch, and I am placed in a room overnight recovering. I ask the nurses about Rhoda, and find out she is only 6 doors away from me.

My pastor comes by to check on me, and informs me of Rhoda's situation - they cannot set her leg because her heart won't take surgery, and she has a terminal blood issue she's been hiding for a while. Once she stabilized, she was going to hospice care. What a shock - I never knew and was heartbroken at the news. I headed to her room, and her eyes lit up when she saw me. I tried to hide the tears, but it was tough. We visited for 30 minutes until she got tired, so I headed back to my room to ponder. The rest of the day was a blur, and I tried to visit one more tie but she was asleep.

You know, the anger, frustration and helplessness I had when the surgery was cancelled all seem so silly now - God had a plan, but I was too stubborn to see it. If it weren't for the delay, I would have never had the chance to visit and say goodbye to her. I marvel at it now - she was placed 6 doors away so I could see her one final time. God knew, and my human side was too hard headed to realize and trust in Him. Yes, it is easy to lose sight of that fact, and it takes a wake up call like mine to realize that He has a plan for each of us and loves us unconditionally.

My dear friend passed away last Friday, and the funeral service just ended. Yes, I am sad, but I am comforted to know that God is watching, listening and loving us daily. I know that Rhoda is in God's arms enjoying eternal peace and is reunited with her husband, Earl. I will miss her, but know I will see here again.

Thanks for sharing. Prayers for her family and for your continued healing.
    God most certainly knows what is best.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Thanks for that reminder Tom. I needed it.

4. Member
    We only think we know what's going on and what's best for us.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Sorry about your friend, brother Tom... That's a very nice remembrance of her and a great reminder that all of us, myself included, need to learn to better heed the admonition to "Be still..."

Who controls John Gill?

6. Member

Tom,
    thank you for sharing this reminder of GOD's plan being the Ultimate in our lives decisions, whether we are open to acceptance or resistance. Degenerative arthritis is been my fight for several years, and at 59yrs old, I have had a full left hip and knee replacement, while heading for right knee sometimes soon since it has had arthroscopy several times.
    I believe GOD was excellent in making me, but I must be darn good in breaking me.

7. Member
    Paul knew about suffering. He wrote this under he inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Therefore you may have confidence it is true:

Romans 8:18, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him."

38-39, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our lord.

Please read Romans 8 and Hebrews 12. --The problem of pain.