ONIX NMEA 2000 to Yamaha 175 4 stroke 2015??

I've tried researching and searching the site but it seems to confuse me the more I read.

I think I have this much figured out.........I will use a yamaha interface cable by navico and connect that to an N2K backbone starter kit and one of those tees will hook to the main ONIX head unit and the other tee to a power supply.

I have 3 ONIX units networked together via ethernet. Will I be able to view the engine info on all three of these Onix units with an N2K cable only going to the main head unit? In other words will the units share this information globally via ethernet?

If not would I have to run an N2K drop to each unit I want to see info on?

Or does my N2K backbone have to go to my ethernet hub via some kind of gateway?

Thanks

2. Member
    Thanks Big Joe that's what I didn't understand was how the head units shared NMEA.

3. Member
    How much for all of this?

I have run Onix and Solix with a 200HP Yamaha thinking about adding NMEA 2000

4. Member
    Thanks for the links...

What is the adapter to hook to a Humminbird (Onix) at the end?

5. Member
    foo I think a standard nmea backbone drop cable screws right onto the ONIX nmea 2000 port. In other words both ends of the cable are the same, where it hooks to the nmea backbone tee is the same fitting as on the back of the ONIX unit.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong.

6. Member
    Cool thanks for the heads up--easier than I thought-----

Looks like an Onix unit and these two thing: ($150 total)

https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Yama.../dp/B0012R2PHG

https://www.amazon.com/NMEA-Network-.../dp/B002BBFE98

7. Member
    I found this interesting. You can convert your nmea 2k backbone to run through your Humminbird Ethernet. While I'm sure this is more designed for units that are not nmea 2k ready (with a port) like ONIX, it appeals to me because I run multiple ONIX units and they are all connected already via ethernet and I remove them all after fishing. No need to run nmea drops to each of the units and an extra wire to connect and disconnect each time I go out. I run four units. Other than this adapter costing $200 are there any disadvantages to running nmea 2k via ethernet? Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    I bought the two I listed above.

There is no need for the Yamaha Command Link correct?

9. Member
    You have everything you need foo I was just wondering if there were any disadvantages to running your nmea backbone through the ethernet network even though I know it's not a requirement

10. Member
    Man what SOB to get that plug thru the cable exit/hole on the motor---but it's thru now. What amp fuse to use and does anybody know the amp draw on the backbone?...it can't be high.