Thouts on vmax ox66 3.1L 200?

Looking at a new to me skeeter and having never ran yamaha before im not sure if this a motor known to have issues or a strong running motor..not sure on the hours but i do know the top end was rebuilt about 2 yrs ago and highly maintained since with not much use. Any help with this motor would be appreciated

2. Member
    The motor is an 2001

3. Member
    I have an 03 on a ranger. as for mine and what I see on this forum the ox66 might be the best motor of all time. that's why I bought mine. your going to hear fuel usage is higher, if u keep it wide open they all burn fuel. awesome motor, hpdi big blocks are trouble . as far as I'm concerned totally happy with my ox66 ,just have a good mechanic look it over. its still used and your not sure how abused. by the way blew my merc xri200 switched to the ox66 200 after a lot of research and with the same prop gained awesome hole shot and 5 mph top end. I was always told mercs or faster. go fiqure

4. Banned
    Merc 2.5L, yamaha 3.1L. It's not the horse power but the torque that makes yamaha faster. Put that 2.5 on a lighter hull and it will outrun the 3.1 yamaha.

5. Member
    what if you put the 3.1 Yamaha on the same light hull propped correctly. hard to believe. just stating what I found on my boat not guessing or speculating

6. Member
    Well thats great news and i appreciate the insite for sure

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    what if you put the 3.1 Yamaha on the same light hull propped correctly. hard to believe. just stating what I found on my boat not guessing or speculating
    The 3.1 set up the same as 2.5 on identical light hulls may have a better bottom end out of the hole but the merc will quickly get ahead. 2.5 has an advantage at higher rpm band. Porting, timing, compression is more aggressive on the xri. Smaller, lighter internals and displacement make it spin up faster. The same 2.5L platform was used on many different merc racing motors up 300hp. They can spinn up to 11k rpm on race boats but are not suitable for heavy boats.

8. Member
    I have a 2003 V Max 200 3.1L OX66 on a 901CDX Nitro. Great motor.

9. Member
    Solid motor. Plan on doing full motor maintenance if you get it unless there is a service log. Send the injectors to Rich at Brucato. If you do that, there will likely be no troubles for many years.

10. Member
    Definitely has a reputation as a solid, reliable, durable motor. Regular maintenance is affordable, there are hop ups available, and worth rebuilding in most circumstances if something goes and you can't pony up for something new. You'd have to consider just how much fuel you'd have to save from a new 4-stroke if it cost $6-7k more than rebuilding an OX66... Still worth the regular, thorough inspection, but good motor.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

11. Member
    imo fuel useage isn't that much different. all burn a lot . its really how you run them. fuel is cheaper than a blown engine just my 2 cents

12. Member
    I have a 98 ox66 200 that when i got it had sat for 6 yrs
    got new to me injectors from rich z replaced fuel filters and she fired right up runs perfect all the time love the motor no hassle so far.