Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ultrex problem with momentary on/off button

Installed ultrex 112, no link, on my Ranger Z520, replacing the Fortrex 101. For starters, I absolutely love the Ultrex and honestly think its one of the single best improvements I have purchased for my boat. While in Mexico bass fishing recently, I had a problem with the momentary on/off button (moob). This is the button you depress with the inside of your foot to make it go. Anyways, one day the moob doesnt' actuate the motor, I thought maybe my foot wasn't all the way on, moved the foot and it worked, so I thought nothing of it. Well, the next day it got, worse. And finally, on the third day, it got really bad. When you pressed the moob, nothing. We even reached down with our hands to make sure we were pressing the moob properly still nothing. So what do we do? We continue to fish of course, in the same spot unfortunately. Then all of the sudden, the motor comes to life by itself and takes off. I had two days like this. We tried different things: maybe the remote will work it and bypass the foot pedal, nope; reset the power, nope; we were using a bluetooth speaker on the boat and thought maybe interference, so we shut it off, no improvement. Got back to Arizona and contacted Minn kota. They wanted to return the unit, instead of taking it to a local service center. Apparently they want to see all the problems first hand for the first year, just to make sure all the bugs get worked out and that they understand what is going wrong. Anyways, I had a upcoming tournament and needed the TM, so they provided a fix to try. On the underside of the footpedal, under the moob, is magentic switch, about an inch long and 1/8 inch in diameter, two small wires coming from it. Minn Kota said to try and raise this switch in order to provide better contact with the moob, so I raised it about 1/25 of an inch. Went back out on the water, deploy the motor, turn on the power, now it is constant on. I guess if I have to choose between no power and constant on, I will take constant on. So now I am going to return the Ultrex for replacement back to Minn Kota, just as soon as they have inventory, in case I have to use it for next month's club tournament at Lake Havasu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I had a similar problem with my Terrova foot pedal. It turned out that when I screwed it down to the boat, it twisted the foot pedal slightly into the carpet. This made the auto pilot button engage randomly. If you have screwed the pedal down, try to loosen the screws jus enough to hold it in place.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

3. Member
    You may have raised the reed switch a little too much so the magnet stays in contact. Try lowering it just a hair.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    a hair more than 1/25th of an inch?? you kidding?? how the heck is that even measured?? a blonde hair, a red head hair, a brunette hair....???
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    My point with the 1/25 of an inch was that I barely raised it, and it went from not working to constant on.

6. Member
    Yep same thing with my Fortex , the reed needs to be adjusted to a spot so close to here or there , took me about 4 times before I got it right , Keep adjusting

7. Member
    It's a read switch that is magnet activated. The magnet is in the button. Should be a spot where the magnet doesn't activate it til it gets closer which is what happens when you push down the button. Pushing down hard on the button will push the reed away from the magnet.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Minn Kota wants the unit back, it is obviously not working as designed. But I thought I would share in case someone has a similar problem on the water, they may be able to at least get constant on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    It's a read switch that is magnet activated. The magnet is in the button. Should be a spot where the magnet doesn't activate it til it gets closer which is what happens when you push down the button. Pushing down hard on the button will push the reed away from the magnet.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrangeraz View Post
    Minn Kota wants the unit back, it is obviously not working as designed. But I thought I would share in case someone has a similar problem on the water, they may be able to at least get constant on.
    Yes, and thanks for sharing. Since the units are new this year, if something is wrong that would normally go to an ASC for repair, MinnKota wants the unit back so they can see what is going wrong. At that point, they will replace the motor with another unit. This reed switch, is something that has been happening on the Fortrex and Maxxums and is an adjustment issue -- but as you said, MinnKota wants it back to inspect.
    Take care
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Yes, and thanks for sharing. Since the units are new this year, if something is wrong that would normally go to an ASC for repair, MinnKota wants the unit back so they can see what is going wrong. At that point, they will replace the motor with another unit. This reed switch, is something that has been happening on the Fortrex and Maxxums and is an adjustment issue -- but as you said, MinnKota wants it back to inspect.
    Take care
    John
    Mine is doing similar things. Took mine out and my switch will work sometimes but not always. I have to really hold down hard to get mine to come on. Whats the fix..

11. Member
    Installed ultrex 112, no link, on my Ranger Z520, replacing the Fortrex 101. For starters, I absolutely love the Ultrex and honestly think its one of the single best improvements I have purchased for my boat. While in Mexico bass fishing recently, I had a problem with the momentary on/off button (moob). This is the button you depress with the inside of your foot to make it go. Anyways, one day the moob doesnt' actuate the motor, I thought maybe my foot wasn't all the way on, moved the foot and it worked, so I thought nothing of it. Well, the next day it got, worse. And finally, on the third day, it got really bad. When you pressed the moob, nothing. We even reached down with our hands to make sure we were pressing the moob properly still nothing. So what do we do? We continue to fish of course, in the same spot unfortunately. Then all of the sudden, the motor comes to life by itself and takes off. I had two days like this. We tried different things: maybe the remote will work it and bypass the foot pedal, nope; reset the power, nope; we were using a bluetooth speaker on the boat and thought maybe interference, so we shut it off, no improvement. Got back to Arizona and contacted Minn kota. They wanted to return the unit, instead of taking it to a local service center. Apparently they want to see all the problems first hand for the first year, just to make sure all the bugs get worked out and that they understand what is going wrong. Anyways, I had a upcoming tournament and needed the TM, so they provided a fix to try. On the underside of the footpedal, under the moob, is magentic switch, about an inch long and 1/8 inch in diameter, two small wires coming from it. Minn Kota said to try and raise this switch in order to provide better contact with the moob, so I raised it about 1/25 of an inch. Went back out on the water, deploy the motor, turn on the power, now it is constant on. I guess if I have to choose between no power and constant on, I will take constant on. So now I am going to return the Ultrex for replacement back to Minn Kota, just as soon as they have inventory, in case I have to use it for next month's club tournament at Lake Havasu.
    Just how do you make the adjustment

12. Member
    Worked on mine today. I removed pedal switch, by depressing plastic keeper ear under top portion of pedal. This retaining ear is only one to press in during removal. Set spring aside. I could see reed was below the housing it sits in. I was able to move reed up from bottom, where two wirings are attched under top portion of pedal. Applying an upward pressure (flat screw driver) infront and between the two wires, I was able to move reed up to where it was now flush in its housing. You can see this from top of pedal. Replaced switch assy, spring and snapped into place. Works like new now.

My problem was a intermittent switch. Works sometimes, not always.
    I did not have to remove pedal

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Worked on mine today. I removed pedal switch, by depressing plastic keeper ear under top portion of pedal. This retaining ear is only one to press in during removal. Set spring aside. I could see reed was below the housing it sits in. I was able to move reed up from bottom, where two wirings are attched under top portion of pedal. Applying an upward pressure (flat screw driver) infront and between the two wires, I was able to move reed up to where it was now flush in its housing. You can see this from top of pedal. Replaced switch assy, spring and snapped into place. Works like new now.

My problem was a intermittent switch. Works sometimes, not always.
    I did not have to remove pedal
    Good fix. MK sent me a new trolling motor, but has same type of switch. I expect it will happen with the new one sometime in the future, but at least I know how to fix it.

14. Member

15. Member
    Good fix. MK sent me a new trolling motor, but has same type of switch. I expect it will happen with the new one sometime in the future, but at least I know how to fix it.
    Can I ask you what all that consisted of. Getting minn kota to send you a new one? And time frame

16. Member
    Can I ask you what all that consisted of. Getting minn kota to send you a new one? And time frame
    I simply called Minnkota. The TM is under warranty. It took about 3 weeks to ship because they were out of stock. When I received it, I took the old one off and put it right back into box from the new one, drove it to Fedex with the shipping lable provided by MK. A little bit of work, but not complicated.

17. Member
    I assume the mount to, or just shipped back trolling motor?

18. Member
    I assume the mount to, or just shipped back trolling motor?
    Yes I returned the original Ultrex mount, and had to install the new Ultrex mount. I was hoping to be able to use the old Ultrex mount and simply change out the head/shaft unit but there was a design change and the new head/shaft unit would not seat properly onto the older model mount. I was, however, able to keep and use the old heading sensor.

19. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I've heard the Ultrex mount has been changed/improved since it first came out. something about some alignment "nibs" added to the mount and the underside of the motor head.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I've heard the Ultrex mount has been changed/improved since it first came out. something about some alignment "nibs" added to the mount and the underside of the motor head.
    That is correct. I ordered my original Ultrex in December, installed in January, warranty replacement in Feb due to faulty foot switch. I though I might save time by leaving the mount assembly on the boat, but there has been a design change and I had to use the new mount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast