Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Can someone explain this new design? I wonder if I got an old one or a new one and what the difference is.

2. Member
    Here is a pic of the underside of the newer style, not sure of the names.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Womdering if first models are actually bad then

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Womdering if first models are actually bad then
    first models being bad in what way??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Why did they add these tabs? And if we don't have these tabs what is the consequences? I talked to a minkota rep at the sportsman show on the weekend and he knew nothing about the change.

6. Member

7. Member
    I am not an engineer, but the first one I had with just the two tits was just as strong as the second one. The allen screw is what secures the head to the mount. It is only an issue if you try re-using the old mount with a new head.

8. Member
    Well they don't make changes just for the fun of it, mine only has 2 so I sure would like to know what issues they had so I can watch for them.

9. Member

10. Member
    Minn sent me another ultrex replacement. First had foot pedal switch problems with magnet to low or to high. Then whole foot pedal frooze up and wouldnt move. Not first time out on water foot pedal switch is acting up on this ultrex also.sometimes power just stays on when switch is pressed and released. Ill be calling minn kota again. I removed switch and pressed magnet down a bit. Will try again.

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    jeez wow
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    Here is my "2 cents" on your issue. I also have the same problem you are describing. It did it once when it was new, but never did it again, however, I was out of town for a tournament a week ago, and it came back worse than ever. I got off the water, and took it to an authorized service center, and he adjusted the puck under the switch, like you described, and everything worked fine until I got it in the water the next day, when the problem came back. For those of you that don't have one, the Ultrex will not run while stowed on the bow. I personally feel like whatever is causing my problem, is the switch, or sensor that tells the motor if it's stowed, or deployed. I say this because I can make mine work again by lifting it and firmly reseating it in the down position. Fortunately, Minn Kota is sending me a new unit. Unfortunately, I don't expect to get it in time for my next tournament. All problems aside, I absolutely love that trolling motor, and can't imagine ever having a boat without one.

13. Member
    Ive been back on water after my momentary switch adjustment. Works great the last 5 trips out. If minn kota comes out with a better switch, ill be getting it.

14. Member
    I found this post as I was looking to see if anyone has issue similar to mine. In my case the momentary switch is sticking on which in open water is merely annoying. But fishing docks could be a disaster. Anyone else having issue with switch sticking on? I tap the side of the speed knob with my foot and it goes off. Perhaps similar cause by misadjusted reed contact?

15. Member
    Yes....my switch sticks on often.

Also, spot lock will automatically turn off and will just take off. Not sure what the deal is.

I cant wait to have this operating the way its supposed to as this thing is the “bomb” when it works correctly on a ledge.

16. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I bought mine last winter (Jan 18) and it has started to "keep running" after I let off the throttle. Not all the time, but often enough.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2Power View Post
    I found this post as I was looking to see if anyone has issue similar to mine. In my case the momentary switch is sticking on which in open water is merely annoying. But fishing docks could be a disaster. Anyone else having issue with switch sticking on? I tap the side of the speed knob with my foot and it goes off. Perhaps similar cause by misadjusted reed contact?
    You may need to push the Reed switch down into the holder just a little bit more.
    I have an Ultrex now but I had the same problem with a Fortrex. It was sticking in the "on" position after I took my foot off the button. It started out sticking occasionally but got progressively worse even after I tried adjusting the switch several times. It got to the point I could take the button off the pedal and and hold it close to the Reed switch until the switch closed and then the switch would stay on even when the magnet was a foot from it. I took it to my ASC and he replaced the switch and I never had another problem with it.
    I still have that Fortrex sitting on the shelf as a spare.

18. Member
    I think my issue is resolved. It was three months ago so my memory is already hazy on it. But there is a release tab for the throttle button on the underside of the foot pedal. I removed the button. There is a post on the bottom of the button that interfaces with the switch below it. A spring is positioned between switch and button. My recollection is I gave the post in the button a light tap with hammer. I think the post was press fit in the button so I just wanted to reduce the standoff distance slightly. I put it back together and have been trouble free since.

19. Member
    Be careful doing that. That post is a magnet and could snap off. Directly below where the magnet will be when the button is installed is a Reed switch mounted in a holder. The Reed switch can be moved up or down to adjust when the Reed switch turns on and off.

20. Member
    This thread is over 3 years old- however, just spent over $60,000 on new boat came with Minn Kota Ultrex that has same problem. Trolling motor stays on constantly!!! I will switch to Motor Guide in the future. Can not believe how unprofessional a company can be. Looking at the internet it is a common problem and they do not check it at the factory or change the design. Very disappointing. My son does not want to use our new boat because of the issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast