Tilt/ Trim problem

I have a 2000 Cobra 201 with a mercury 225 EFI. I've been noticing that when I'm underway at full throttle, I can't get it to trim anymore than just over half. Trim works perfect all other times. Not sure where to start looking.

2. Member
    From memory, don't EFI have a trim max when running at a certain rpm's? By that, I mean when at idle you can trim all the way up but are limited when running.

Someone will will be along shortly to clear this up.

3. Member
    I wasn't aware of that. Hopefully some one will confirm one way or the other. If that's so, I don't like it.

Trim your motor up until the trim rams stop and the motor just starts to lift off the rams, that is your max trim range, anything above that is your tilt range. Look at your tilt and trim gauge that is where your max trim range is on your gauge, usually about half on the gauge is the max trim, and any thing above that is the tilt range. And yes the motor has a safety that above a certain rpm your motor will drop back down to the top of the trim rams, it does that to keep you from running the motor too high and causing a blow over or so you don't get the water pick ups too high and causing the motor to overheat and blow up.

5. Member
    Ok, so this morning, I trimmed to motor up until right before it goes into tilt mode. That point in the gauge is about 11/16. While under way, the best I can get is 9/16-5/8. So I guess it's right. I guess it's just me. My last boat was an 18' and I could trim the bow way up. This boat being 20' just doesn't lift like that. Learning curve for a larger boat I guess.
    Thanks for all the input. It's greatly appreciated.

6. Member
    Edit: double post.

7. Member
    Set-up of your boat will ultimately determine bow lift, stern lift, speed, etc.

You will want to ensure your engine is running properly and well maintained.

Measure your Prop-to-Pad height.

Ensure water-pressure gauge is functioning.

Test boat and posts results in Cobra forum and Bass Boat Setup forum.

List: max rpm's, gps at max rpm's, prop-to-pad measurement, water pressure, type of prop, pitch of prop, and condition of prop.

Others will help guide you on best prop, engine height, etc.

Many times, over-trimming reduces performance instead of increasing.

Some props provide more bow lift, others stern lift. Some are better for hole-shot or top-end speed.

Different hulls and hull/motor combinations perform better/worse with a given prop and set-up parameters.

8. Member
    I have a 2002 cobra 201 with 225 merc. These hulls don't really lift a lot. I'm running a 4 blade trophy. But while running the motor isn't supposed to "trim" it stays on the tilt rods. If you go over a certain rpm it brings it back down to the tilt range

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lodel23 View Post
    I have a 2002 cobra 201 with 225 merc. These hulls don't really lift a lot. I'm running a 4 blade trophy. But while running the motor isn't supposed to "trim" it stays on the tilt rods. If you go over a certain rpm it brings it back down to the tilt range
    Partially correct. Cobra's tend to run fairly flat and require more stern lift than bow lift. I run a Trophy on mine as well. Seems to be the best overall prop for it.

RPM's have nothing to do with how much you can trim and at what speed. The trim (2 short rods) can handle just about as much pressure as your motor can put on them. The tilt rod (single longer rod) can only handle a certain amount of pressure, and when that is exceeded, the trim rods handle the rest. If you want to test that theory, next time you load your boat on the trailer, trim up past full trim into tilt mode and hammer it. You'll see that the motor will go down until it touches the trim rods and stop there.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Partially correct. Cobra's tend to run fairly flat and require more stern lift than bow lift. I run a Trophy on mine as well. Seems to be the best overall prop for it.

RPM's have nothing to do with how much you can trim and at what speed. The trim (2 short rods) can handle just about as much pressure as your motor can put on them. The tilt rod (single longer rod) can only handle a certain amount of pressure, and when that is exceeded, the trim rods handle the rest. If you want to test that theory, next time you load your boat on the trailer, trim up past full trim into tilt mode and hammer it. You'll see that the motor will go down until it touches the trim rods and stop there.
    That's what I meant..guess I got trim and tilt mixed up. My apologies

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Set-up of your boat will ultimately determine bow lift, stern lift, speed, etc.

You will want to ensure your engine is running properly and well maintained.

Measure your Prop-to-Pad height.

Ensure water-pressure gauge is functioning.

Test boat and posts results in Cobra forum and Bass Boat Setup forum.

List: max rpm's, gps at max rpm's, prop-to-pad measurement, water pressure, type of prop, pitch of prop, and condition of prop.

Others will help guide you on best prop, engine height, etc.

Many times, over-trimming reduces performance instead of increasing.

Some props provide more bow lift, others stern lift. Some are better for hole-shot or top-end speed.

Different hulls and hull/motor combinations perform better/worse with a given prop and set-up parameters.
    next to Ike I'm on the water, I will get all the information. I know my water pressure gauge isn't work, but I always check to make sure there is a good stream flowing. I'm running a Trophy 4 blade now. I'm also in the process of playing with PVS plugs. I was having a problem with blowing out as the boat was trying to break over. Replaced all the PVS plugs with solid ones and drilling holes to see what works best. Can't remember exactly what size I have drilled now, but it doesn't blow out anymore. Does seem a bit sluggish though. Still in the adjusting phase.

12. Member
    I run my Trophy with 2 holes open and 2 medium plugs. Seems to work best on my setup. Every boat is different though.