2003 VMAX200 OX66 1000405 ran perfect then shut down

Had my Yamaha under cover for 3 months. Went to start it and it started on the first crank. Decided to run it so took it to local ramp. Started firsts try. While at ramp idling it turns off and would not start again. Tried for about 5 minutes and it tried to start two times for a second or two. Otherwise no indication of even wanting to run. I have no idea where to start on this. The primer bulb was hard but abnormally hard. Like brittle rubber. Is there any where in particular I should start on this beast?
    Thanks in advance

Tom

2. Banned
    Next time you try to start it turn the key to on position and listen for the fuel pump to turn on. Fuel pump will make a humming noise for few seconds and if you don't crank the motor it will stop running. If you don't hear the pump come on its mostlikely the fuel pump relay that is going bad. This problem can be intermittent and sometimes may stop your motor while running on pad. Follow the red wire from the vst pump to the other side of the motor to find the relay. Before disconnecting any wires from the relay do this simple test. Hold the relay in your hand and turn the key to on position and shake the relay. If the pump stops running or doesn't come on replace the relay.

3. Member
    And, it's time for a new primer bulb. Alcohol ruins them and they get brittle and hard.

4. Member
    OEM bulb or any brand and replace every couple of years

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maineidyl View Post
    OEM bulb or any brand and replace every couple of years
    For that part, I went back with a Yamaha one.

6. Member
    I'm going to start with the primer bulb. Then check the fuel pressure with my pressure gauge arrives Saturday morning. Then proceed to the VST. Motor only has about 260 hours but going to go ahead and do a bunch of long overdue maintenance.

7. Member
    Replaced the brittle bulb. Cranked up for a few seconds and died. Looks like there is another check valve downstream leading to motor. Going to order gadgets etc. and move on to vast cleaning.

8. Member
    Ok, so the conclusion. I replaced bulb with a Yamaha fuel bulb. Still no start. Blew through the bulb ->and checked for air leaks in fuel line. Found fuel coming out of water separator on side of motor. Realized that some idiot (me) when replacing the filter only partially tightened ring and then set lock nut. This was right at the end of summer before I put boat away. Tightened the way I should have before and did the blow through test again. No leaks. Pumped bulb and the filter canister filled with still no leaks. Turned over, would not start. Took VST apart, replaced screen. Put back together, pumped bulb. Turned key and boom. Started on a 1/4 turn. Ran on muffs. Shut down about 10 times and started every time. Will water test Thursday. Thanks for help suggestions and ideas. All items replaced were over due and I am stoked that she is running again.

9. Member
    Nice job. Glad it worked out. Let us know how your water test goes.

10. Member
    Took the boat out. Went thru several idle zones and then ran wide open. Runs perfect. Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Tom