Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite's w/ Pro XS Motors ??

I've been looking and found 3 new boats for sale. All 3 have Merc Pro XS's on them, a 200, 225, and a 250.
    None have Sport XS Motors.

Are these rigged at the factory or are dealerships installing these motors?
    I ask because I remember in the past hearing caution about the Pro XS gearcases blowing out at 85 mph. Has that changed with the new models that have the silver colored LU's on them?

I would prefer to have a 250 Pro XS or a Yama SHO anyway. I am not trying to hit 100, shoot hitting 85 isn't a priority. I want more of the reliability factor with a longer warranty and still being able to pass 99.9% of the other boats in my field here in Oklahoma while I run around 80ish. All while I look damn good doing it too!

Thanks for answers to my questions.
    RETIRED NAVY CWO4 SUBMARINER
    2019 Basscat Eyra

Bassgod,

The Pro XS is actually a pretty good combo wether a 225 or a 250. If your not worried about high speed I would go with the 225. You will get better hole shot and fuel economy with the 225, plus you are going to still out run almost any boat you will encounter. It is still an 80mph boat, plus it's cheaper.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

3. Member
    I'll more than likely get a 250, just wanted to make sure gearcase won't blow out if it hits 85 mph. If the boat is capable of that, I will not be trying to push the limits of this machine.

I just want a bad ass bass boat, with a very quick and reliable motor with a long warranty. It is going to be a 100% fishing machine, not a racing boat.
    I've been wanting a boat like this my whole life and will get it built nicely.

Thanks Brian, can't wait to see you here in Tulsa in a few weeks.....Go Navy!
    2019 Basscat Eyra

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Xb21 w/ 250 Pro XS would be a fine fishin rig.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Xb21 w/ 250 Pro XS would be a fine fishin rig.
    I concur!!

Put a 28 Bravo XS on it and you will have a rocket up to 83-85 with a fishing load if it has 1.75 gears. You can always cone the lower later on if you catch the speed bug that most of us catch lol
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

That's exactly what I have 250 Pro XS on a BasSport Pro Elite. I like it a lot. I have been advised to exchange the
    2-1/2" spacers for 4" for handling purposes. 28 bravo XS with 4 holes plugged. Decent holeshot loaded, good midrange, only been to 81 on top but still learning.
    Last edited by SP1973; 02-16-2017 at 05:48 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    Put a 28 Bravo XS on it and you will have a rocket up to 83-85 with a fishing load if it has 1.75 gears. You can always cone the lower later on if you catch the speed bug that most of us catch lol
    And there's no doubt in my mind you WILL catch that Bug!! Good luck with your purchase and welcome.

9. Member
    Thanks guys, yall are making this sound real good!
    2019 Basscat Eyra

10. Member
    What about a 250 SHO? 4 stroke without having to buy oil. Who is rolling with that setup?
    2019 Basscat Eyra

11. Member
    SCJ on here has a modified SHO. He loves it. They are torque monsters. Pro xs are very much common place in the bassboat world and tons of people have them on the Xb21's, so from a service and setup standpoint they are hard to beat.

I think the 250 SHO would be an awesome engine on the back of the Bass Sport Pro. The only concern I would have is if it doesn't have solid motor mounts. If Yamaha has updated the mounts then it comes down to personal preference. If not, then I would have it updated before it was mounted to the boat.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

13. Member
    TM gen 2 lower units are staying grounded well over 80 mph. Teb ran 250 w/a stock gen2 past 86 w/out issue and he mentioned he had plenty left. This was with a legit trn load.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pops77s View Post
    I think the 250 SHO would be an awesome engine on the back of the Bass Sport Pro. The only concern I would have is if it doesn't have solid motor mounts. If Yamaha has updated the mounts then it comes down to personal preference. If not, then I would have it updated before it was mounted to the boat.
    Yamaha has upgraded their engine mounts but their still not as hard as others.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassgod View Post
    I've been looking and found 3 new boats for sale. All 3 have Merc Pro XS's on them, a 200, 225, and a 250.
    None have Sport XS Motors.

Are these rigged at the factory or are dealerships installing these motors?
    I ask because I remember in the past hearing caution about the Pro XS gearcases blowing out at 85 mph. Has that changed with the new models that have the silver colored LU's on them?

I would prefer to have a 250 Pro XS or a Yama SHO anyway. I am not trying to hit 100, shoot hitting 85 isn't a priority. I want more of the reliability factor with a longer warranty and still being able to pass 99.9% of the other boats in my field here in Oklahoma while I run around 80ish. All while I look damn good doing it too!

Thanks for answers to my questions.

both motors will get you there. There was some concern with the SHO lower unit. It got to 86. Midrange on the sho is awesome. The merc is going to be faster. (stock everthing). SHO is really the only 4-stroke choice. Wayne w/ hydr tec can make you a lower unit for the SHO if needed/desired.

16. Member
    I had a SHO 250 on an XB21 Bassport Pro the short story is I never should have changed it. Either way you go they are both great engines. The fuel economy and ride of these boats is very impressive.

17. Member
    Steve.. you had an SHO?

I love mine but, its to small. I am going to upgrade one day. Hopefully I can find a nice used XB-21. If you ever come back to Kingsbay you can drive my 2003.

19. Member
    I wouldn't trade my SHO for ten Mercury's.
    Super quiet, the very best hole shot, fuel efficient and no oil smell.
    Kevin and Grant's boats are the reason I switched over to a SHO. They were both at the 2014 Rally and the smooth, quiet operation of the SHO had me sold especially when I found out you could install a sport master gearcase.
    Last edited by scj; 02-17-2017 at 02:51 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I love mine but, its to small. I am going to upgrade one day. Hopefully I can find a nice used XB-21. If you ever come back to Kingsbay you can drive my 2003.
    I'll be back someday for sure bubba!
    2019 Basscat Eyra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast