Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Charging Batteries while traveling and hotels

What do you guys do to charge your batteries while traveling? I could see sometimes you could run an extension cord but I could see a lot of times were you couldn't. Do you guys put a generator in the back of the truck?

I keep a 100' 12/3 extension cord with me when I stay at places. Most places are pretty accommodating when it comes to fishermen, at least the ones I've been to.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

Just ask ahead of time and the motels will let you run an extension cord, at least the ones we have stayed at have. A lot of them close to the lakes have plugs right outside your room. I wouldn't haul a generator unless I was going camping. Then it would be a great idea. A lot of campgrounds have electric tent sites too.

Once you get to the lake your going to you should have the batteries already charged from home and then when you come in from fishing you can charge them. Hard to imagine a motel not allowing it if they are close to the lake, they usually cater to the clientele. Shouldn't need to charge them to and fro the lake/home.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

4. Member
    I keep a long extension cord as well, I also verify there is parking for my rig with available power when I call to make the reservation.

5. Banned
    Like said, call ahead. Most places will accommodate anglers needing to charge their boats.

6. Member
    OK sounds good. I am guessing a lot of you stay at small motels close the lakes. I was thinking if I am fairly close say 30 min or so from a Hampton Inn type hotel that I can stay at for free I would save the money but they aren't the type that your boat can be backed up to your door.

7. Member
    When you check-in see if you can talk to the maintainence man& ask him about a place you can plug your boat in, if he helps you out a bit of a tip goes along way. I always pull my prop off too, a little work but one less thing to worry about.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Trapper View Post
    When you check-in see if you can talk to the maintainence man& ask him about a place you can plug your boat in, if he helps you out a bit of a tip goes along way. I always pull my prop off too, a little work but one less thing to worry about.
    This ^

Often there is a plug by the pool or elsewhere you can get to. A little cash and they might run an extension cord out a door or window if needed.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Banned
    We generally stay at Hamilton Inn's which have outlets on the lights poles in the parking lots.

Honda eu2000
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Haven't had any problems at all. One time in Fla. I plugged into an outlet
    at a light pole in the parking lot. It didn't have power. Come to find out , the
    power came on at dark. Just to be sure, I checked every night after the sun
    had gone down.

12. Member
    2 150' extension cables.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

13. Member
    I stay at Hampton Inn all the time. I call ahead and I'm very specific with my needs and there isn't one time they have not accommodated me. They go so far as to put cones out to reserve space for my rig and that way I don't have to disconnect my boat from the truck. Maintenance has also put adapters in the lighting in the parking lot for me, so I can charge. When I call, I always speak to a manager and make it clear that I cannot stay unless I have this available to me, and then I ask that they make a note for the other managers informing them of the agreement. This is one of the reasons I always stay at Hampton! They really do go out of their way to make sure you get what you need.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

14. Member
    if you run a generator in a motel parking lot all night, things might not go so well.

As others said, ask the motel clerk when you make reservations and carry at least one 100 foot heavy duty extension cord. Many motels near a lake will have plugs on light posts in the parking lot. But, if a lot of boats are plugged into them, they are all drawing current and you may not get a full charge or it may take longer to charge than normal. One thing I have done several times is back the boat up to a parking space in front of the room and run the extension cord out the window or under the door of my room to the boat.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Banned
    Extension cord and a roll of Duck tape most places will allow you to run a cord to your room but they want it secure to the concrete.

17. Member
    all these posts are good,but I do remembering reading last year on here where some of the guys were having problems at some motels.they would not allow you to charge your batteries. I would not stay there.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

I have 2 female 7 pin trailer light sockets.. 1st on 1 side Original style wired up for no brake trailers . other is wired for Brakes like campers and HD flat Bed, Horse , etc with electric Brakes.. the Brake side has a always HOT 12v that when connected charges the camper trailer 12v Battery for Brake system, ya recall the break away for trailer Brake?? well since Bass Boat Trailer isn't equipped with Brakes. When I do a long Trip with Boat , I can plug into camper plug side and the truck 12v to Boat Battery charge while driving.. I don't do this often as just 23 miles 1 way to local Lake, and when doing the camp & Boat Fishing just plug in camp site for Boats recharge nightly. Other aspect hand truck and take batterys in room with a portable charger. place battery in real old unused luggage RED NECK on sly mode lolo for the other motel nosey NUN of YUR Business Folk

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    if you run a generator in a motel parking lot all night, things might not go so well.
    And might not be there in the morning...

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Put it inside the room, the constant noise and fumes will help you sleep better forever! Joking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast