Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    I love winter.
    Nothing like a Ranger is better then Triton thread.

They are the exact same boat. Only difference is the console, seats, and trailer.

The claim has been made several times that a c channel trailer is better. Several people have posted issues with their Ranger trailer though. I've seen none from Triton. Doesn't make it better just pointing out the obvious.

They are the same boat.

Resale on them both is very good. I posted this also a while back.

2. Member
    Made in the same plant. Ranger uses it's "pulltruded" technology in the transom. I've looked at them side by side at Airport Marine and don't see any difference but the trailer. There is a huge difference in the quality of the Ranger Trailer. I also saw no difference in the console.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

3. Member
    I have a Triton 18TX with a 115hp Mercury. When I was shopping I was back and forth between the Trion dealer that's 4 miles from my house and 3 other Ranger dealers in the area. I looked both over several times and the hulls are the same.

The main differences are the console, seats, and the fiberglass blocks in the bilge. They also turn the bilge lid around to open from the rear on the Triton and they mount the engine in the third hole on the Triton while the rangers are mounted in the second hole.

The Ranger has the C channel trailer while the Triton has the tube trailer.

I also considered Triton/Ranger and went with Ranger just based on dealer location. Only 3 miles from the house vs. 1 hr 15 min drive to Triton dealer. No real differences between the 2 except the trailer(not sure if this is a big deal). Dealer location and reputation was a deciding factor for me in going with Ranger.....tight lines...
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    No. Not same quality items put into differing brands.

Just because they are built at the same plant does not mean they are built equally. Each has a defined build criteria. Same as the glass boats down the road where they build the Ranger, Triton and Stratos.
    nope they are built the same the only difference is the
    Ranger components. The Ranger has a piece of pultrusion at the transom that the Triton doesn't have and of course the normal Ranger logo'd items. The builds are the same otherwise to include the upright foam flotation.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

6. Member
    When I visited the Ranger plant in Flippin last March they were building the Tritons and Rangers side by side... Mickey Wood gave us the tour and he showed us components that went into each boat line, and they were slightly different for the Triton and the Ranger, with the Ranger getting a slight edge in terms of structural component quality. This appeared to be true on both the glass and aluminum boat lines. On the glass line, it was much more readily apparent, with thicker composite braces, lids and other structural members. When I looked at the two side by side in the aluminum plant, I gave the edge to the Ranger slightly on final fit and finish items like the carpet, but the Triton was no slouch. I already had a Ranger on order at that point, but if I hadn't and a dealer offered me an apples-to-apples better price on the Triton, I would have bought it and not looked back. I'd think they have to fish about the same...
    Steve R
    2016 Ranger RT188
    - Merc 115 4S
    - MinnKota Fortrex 80
    - Lowrance Gen2 HDS Touch 9 (Bow & Console)

7. Member
    I personally would base a choice between the 2 on which has a better dealer closer to me. Second would be price, seem pretty damn close on that. If those considerations were pretty equal then I would lean towards the Ranger because I like the console better. Both boats are close enough that neither would stand out from the other so much as to scream buy ME not the other.

You can look up the two websites and see the consoles are not the same. The seats appear to be the same with different covers on them. Steering wheels are different. There are several differences in the two. They are both excellent fishing boats.

So are we now saying the hulls are the exact same design? We do learn something everyday, just sometimes we learn inaccurately.

We have a Ranger dealer and a Triton dealer here in Bull Shoals, Arkansas.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaNative View Post
    When I visited the Ranger plant in Flippin last March they were building the Tritons and Rangers side by side... Mickey Wood gave us the tour and he showed us components that went into each boat line, and they were slightly different for the Triton and the Ranger, with the Ranger getting a slight edge in terms of structural component quality. This appeared to be true on both the glass and aluminum boat lines. On the glass line, it was much more readily apparent, with thicker composite braces, lids and other structural members. When I looked at the two side by side in the aluminum plant, I gave the edge to the Ranger slightly on final fit and finish items like the carpet, but the Triton was no slouch. I already had a Ranger on order at that point, but if I hadn't and a dealer offered me an apples-to-apples better price on the Triton, I would have bought it and not looked back. I'd think they have to fish about the same...
    Yeah uh huh.........I've got some prime swamp land real-estate for you. The creature from the black lagoon lives there. That's why the price is so high. Oh and he owns a Ranger.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaNative View Post
    Can you give a little more detail on structural component quality ? All I see is identical boats built at the same plant with different cosmetics . Inlighten us please .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

I've heard through the grapevine that Ranger is about to make a Stick Steer with a front deck and recessed trolling motor pan....
    SS 178 /SS188
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    When I bought my Ranger, I looked at both because the dealer sells both. The price difference between both was less than $500. I bought the ranger because it has a c-channel trailer, and the build quality looked better. I also figured the Ranger name would have a slightly better resale value, when its time for something new.
    This seems like a great answer. For the price difference you get a name that will hold its value better and probably sell faster. Even if there is no quality difference (and I don't know the answer to that) people will perceive there to be one.

13. Member
    I have not studied the difference closely. If your concern is the trailer, go with the aluminum version. No galvanized option in Ranger.
    Swing tongue standard. Looks good. In the above pics posted not sure how current they are. BUT the Ranger paint on side hull extends now to the hull as seen in pic. The triton does not. May not be a current pic. Ranger seats are all been upgraded. As for the pultrusion blocks....... it's just a backing plate, sounds great but in reality does not offer much. External hull welds on Ranger are lifetime to original owner. The truth stated is ultimately the dealer and how they handle issues is key.

1 of the reasons I went with ranger is the ability to replace any damaged or worn out parts with new parts just like the original . I have a friend with an 1989 ranger, he replaced the bench seat last summer. He called ranger, gave them the vin # .They sent him a seat that was a perfect match to the original. Can any other bass boat Mfg do that.
    2016 RT 188

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lilduckx3 View Post
    1 of the reasons I went with ranger is the ability to replace any damaged or worn out parts with new parts just like the original . I have a friend with an 1989 ranger, he replaced the bench seat last summer. He called ranger, gave them the vin # .They sent him a seat that was a perfect match to the original. Can any other bass boat Mfg do that.
    Everyone that's still in business.

Exactly. I would be fine fishing from either boat. If I priced the boats to compare or if I ordered a Triton, I would upgrade the trailer to a C channel. I don't think there is even one quality glass boat manufacturer putting their boats on a tube trailer and there is a reason for that.

Look at BassCat, Phoenix, Skeeter, Ranger, Charger, Allison.....They all use channel C trailers. To me this was important. Dampness and water sits in tube trailers and I don't really trust galvanized that I cannot see if it was done completely and properly or not. I tow my boat a lot and launch it a lot. I doubt the inside of my hollow tubes would ever dry out. There is a reason the quality glass boat builders use channel C design trailers....They are superior in design. But I think Triton addresses this with an upgrade trailer available. Problem solved. Actually I bet Triton puts their glass boats on a C Channel trailer. If using a tube trailer dipped in something was a better way to go, these guys would be putting them under their $70K glass rigs. I think Triton offers each kind on their aluminum's. Just upgrade it. Still a fine boat.

Question... Are the new Triton's not fully painted down the sides? I have not seen a new one but I can say that my boat is not fully painted as it was built before they started that. I do wish my boat was fully painted though. I think the newer fully painted Rangers look better than my 2013 RT. Personally, I like the fully painted sides a lot better. I have not seen a new Triton and am not sure if they paint them or not. I have noticed the painted area on mine is easier to clean and keep nice than the aluminum is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I don't know if the Triton tube trailer for their tin boats is galvanized or not, but I doubt it. I have several friends with glass Tritons and several have had to replace their trailers because of rust. For me, the "C" channel Ranger Trailer is not going to rust, whereas the Trition tube trailer is a question mark.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Ranger has that name, which will command a few extra bucks at selling time. there is this notion that Rangers are far and above any other boat out there. I would put my Crestliner VT19 up against a RT188 anytime. had my choice on a new tin with a 150hp. dealers close to me are Ranger, Triton, Lowe, Tracker and Crestliner. I went with a PT18 and I think the only tin that compares is a Xpress. Ranger RT189 has a pad hull. that's great, but I would rather have the heavier aluminum that Xpress and the Crestliner PT series uses. I really don't think there are any bad tins being made today. a lot is being made about the Ranger trailer. of all the tins ( all brands) sold over the years, how many people have trailers falling apart? my boat is stored outside and after six years, my trailer still looked new. buy whatever boat you like and don't read too much into it. people will defend their brand and there's nothing wrong with that. I just won't let my decision be changed because someone thinks what is sitting in their garage is the best out there

I believe that Crestliner as well as Xpress both make great boats and have always said so. The title in the thread was regarding Triton and Ranger probably because of them being so close in design. Nobody said anything negative about any of the brand's - just talking about differences..... The Crestliner is also about the same design in the hull. The Crestliner and Ranger and Triton hulls look like they came from about the same mold. My little 1996 Ranger Cherokee that I still own today is built on a Crestliner hull bought and finished by Ranger. There is a reason Ranger bought the Crestliner hulls for their Cherokee line.

If I was ordering new today, I would give an edge to both Xpress and Crestliner - mainly because I am not a fan of the Ranger/Triton brands being sold to who bought the company.

As far as the trailers, when I was shopping used I saw a lot of things that made me not like tube trailers.....And I still go back to this - there is a reason all the quality glass guys use Channel. One is that you can see what you got....With a hollow tube, you just don't know. Is it rusting inside there or not?

I would be proud to have a Crestliner or Xpress either one sitting in my garage. They are both fine boats.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    Ranger has that name, which will command a few extra bucks at selling time. there is this notion that Rangers are far and above any other boat out there. I would put my Crestliner VT19 up against a RT188 anytime. had my choice on a new tin with a 150hp. dealers close to me are Ranger, Triton, Lowe, Tracker and Crestliner. I went with a PT18 and I think the only tin that compares is a Xpress. Ranger RT189 has a pad hull. that's great, but I would rather have the heavier aluminum that Xpress and the Crestliner PT series uses. I really don't think there are any bad tins being made today. a lot is being made about the Ranger trailer. of all the tins ( all brands) sold over the years, how many people have trailers falling apart? my boat is stored outside and after six years, my trailer still looked new. buy whatever boat you like and don't read too much into it. people will defend their brand and there's nothing wrong with that. I just won't let my decision be changed because someone thinks what is sitting in their garage is the best out there
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

19. Member
    My 2015 Triton is painted all the way down on the sides.

It was the console for me. I like the ranger better. I think it is more plain. I wish both of them had tougher paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast