Thread: Musty lockers

Musty lockers

I purchesed a 2001 tr21 in November. This is my first triton. I've read about the gas smell do to bad ventilation. Do these boast have problems holding moister in the lockers as well? Every time I open the front lockers I get a musty smell. If there is a venting fix please guide me to it.
    2001 tr-21 triton 225 Yamaha xo66

I found the problem to be the latches, if the covers that go over the key hole is missing then the water passes right through them. After replacing them I have not had a problem.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    I leave all my lockers open when the boat is sitting at home in the garage.

4. Member
    Even though you may drain your bilge often water gets trapped and doesn't drain out completely on the ride home. As Savage said, open your lockers and I have two additional suggestions:
    1. Soak a thin cloth with water and stuff it into the drain plug with about 4" sticking out, use the trailer jack to elevate the boat and any water draining into the bilge will wick away out the end of the wet cloth; you may put a bucket underneath.
    2. Consider placing some "Cab Fresh" sachets in one of your long front lockers; not only will it keep rodent's out, but your boat will smell like a Christmas tree lot.

5. Member
    Thanks for the advice.
    2001 tr-21 triton 225 Yamaha xo66

6. Member
    You might want to pour some bleach water into the bilge area to kill the mold/mildew.

I clean my bilge with simple green. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it as far forward as I can. Let it sit then spray it out with a water hose.

8. Member
    One of the best tricks I have heard of is to take a bar of Lava soap and toss it into the bilge. It will clean it and keep it clean over time...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    One of the best tricks I have heard of is to take a bar of Lava soap and toss it into the bilge. It will clean it and keep it clean over time...
    A couple of friends of mine take the extra soap bars from the hotels we stay at and toss one in the bilge. Keeps it clean and fresh for free
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

Never heard of that trick before. Will be trying it.

11. Member
    The plus for lava over other soaps is lava won't produce a lot of soap foam, which will collect and dry elsewhere.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    The plus for lava over other soaps is lava won't produce a lot of soap foam, which will collect and dry elsewhere.
    I would bet it's quite a bit better as a degreaser as well. May have to try that.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

13. Member
    For a degreaser use dawn dish liquid