Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    As previously mentioned, I got the rebored power-head back about 2 weeks ago. I'm waiting on my rebuild parts package...maybe arrive today or Monday. I've got to find a port head for the HPDI. Mine is shot. And a few small parts. Seems the neighborhood kids may have pulled a drain grommet off the lower cowling..anyway it's missing. I'll get the crank bearings, seals and piston/rod assemblies installed and still have some time to order or find a head.

Las Vegas reached 101° Thursday and expected around 100° today then few days of cooler weather. Fortunately I have a somewhat shady spot in the outside breezeway to do all of the engine assembly.

2. Member
    Got a brief drizzle this afternoon so perfect time to un-box the Power Head. I could see the crate had been dropped but when I opened things up I was very glad I'd had the foresight to bolt the power-head to a piece of plywood. Major corner crush. Bolted it back to the stand and outside for washing. Warm soapy water and the hose then 409 cleaner and another hosing followed by air compressor. Finally I wiped down the cylinder walls and bearing surfaces with a light coat of WD 40 using a blue shop towel.

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    May 14th.

Parts package arrived May 8th and UPS delivery took it to a satellite office. Tuesday morning I found the Toyota with a flat in the parking lot. Looked like a big roofing nail. Mounted the spare and took the Toyota to Discount Tire where they made me a good offer on 4 new tires. I needed new shoes soon in any case. Picked my parts package that afternoon.

For some reason next two days I came down with a high fever and spent all day in bed first day then fevered and weak the second day. Friday I opened the bearing splitters I got from Harbor Freight but they would not fit to remove my main crank bearings.
    Frustrated, I decided to try a puller before grinding a bearing splitter I wanted to return for credit.

Saturday afternoon, I went to the local auto parts and borrowed a 3/2 jawed 6” puller. That worked. I could use the 3 jaw configuration on the larger bearing and the 2 jaw configuration on the smaller top bearing till I could get clearance from the cam lobes to use a 3 jaw configuration. The outer bearing and seal assembly pulled off by hand. I protected the crank ends by using the end nuts, which also gave a flat surface to register on. A small steel backing plate ( I used an aluminum piece I had on hand) was essential. I used the shaft of my breaker bar like a flywheel tool to keep the crank and puller from rotating. If I was doing these often I'd find some spacers and bushings that fit the puller end and protected the crankshaft threads. Inspected the brass oil gear and it looks good. I'll reuse it as is.

None of that was easy. I had to keep re-centering the tool and be very careful to pull the larger bearing off evenly. That bearing fought to the very end. The smaller top end bearing wasn't as difficult but I still had to watch and carefully recenter the two jaw puller tool multiple times. Yamaha design left just enough room to be aligned and miss the cam lobes. I used a rubber band around the arms of the tool to assist in keeping the jaws aligned while tightening up. That done, I returned puller and returned the bearing splitters for credit. Auto parts is 2 blocks away and Harbor Freight is about 2 miles from the apartment.

Last night I cleaned off the crank journal surfaces with a slice of non abrasive pad and applied a bit of WD 40. Then the crank assembly got put in the refrigerator for cooling. Later this afternoon, I'll clear the freezer and stick it in there for a few hours while go shop for pieces of pipe to press the new bearings on. Before assembly I'll lubricate the bearings and heat them at 200°in the oven for 90 minutes. Hopefully things will slide together with a minimum of force.

The neighbors across the backyard cinder block fence live band mariachi partied all day yesterday till around 11:30 PM and now this morning they re-started the party around 10AM. Must be something special as that behavior is unusual for them.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member

Saturday May 14th

May 14th.

Parts package arrived May 8th and UPS delivery took it to a satellite office. Tuesday morning I found the Toyota with a flat in the parking lot. Looked like a big roofing nail. Mounted the spare and took the Toyota to Discount Tire where they made me a good offer on 4 new tires. I needed new shoes soon in any case. Picked my parts package that afternoon.

For some reason next two days I came down with a high fever and spent all day in bed first day then fevered and weak the second day. Friday I opened the bearing splitters I got from Harbor Freight but they would not fit to remove my main crank bearings.
    Frustrated, I decided to try a puller before grinding a bearing splitter I wanted to return for credit.

Saturday afternoon, I went to the local auto parts and borrowed a 3/2 jawed 6” puller. That worked. I could use the 3 jaw configuration on the larger bearing and the 2 jaw configuration on the smaller top bearing till I could get clearance from the cam lobes to use a 3 jaw configuration. The outer bearing and seal assembly pulled off by hand. I protected the crank ends by using the end nuts, which also gave a flat surface to register on. A small steel backing plate ( I used an aluminum piece I had on hand) was essential. I used the shaft of my breaker bar like a flywheel tool to keep the crank and puller from rotating. If I was doing these often I'd find some spacers and bushings that fit the puller end and protected the crankshaft threads. Inspected the brass oil gear and it looks good. I'll reuse it as is.

None of that was easy. I had to keep re-centering the tool and be very careful to pull the larger bearing off evenly. That bearing fought to the very end. The smaller top end bearing wasn't as difficult but I still had to watch and carefully recenter the two jaw puller tool multiple times. Yamaha design left just enough room to be aligned and miss the cam lobes. I used a rubber band around the arms of the tool to assist in keeping the jaws aligned while tightening up. That done, I returned puller and returned the bearing splitters for credit. Auto parts is 2 blocks away and Harbor Freight is about 2 miles from the apartment.

Last night I cleaned off the crank journal surfaces with a slice of non abrasive pad and applied a bit of WD 40. Then the crank assembly got put in the refrigerator for cooling. Later this afternoon, I'll clear the freezer and stick it in there for a few hours while go shop for pieces of pipe to press the new bearings on. Before assembly I'll lubricate the bearings and heat them at 200°in the oven for 90 minutes. Hopefully things will slide together with a minimum of force.

The neighbors across the backyard cinder block fence live band mariachi partied all day yesterday till around 11:30 PM and now this morning they re-started the party around 10AM. Must be something special as that behavior is unusual for them.

5. Member
    Sorry for double post. internet lag or user error I guess

Subscribed.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

7. Member
    Subscribed!
    Need a new bow step pad for your boat? Do what I did!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=712307

Are your boat seats trashed? Fix them yourself and save $1000!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=754944

8. Member
    Hope everything went well. Im in the process of doing the same thing to my 04 225 HPDI. Almost time to put the powerhead back on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123