Depth Finder with WIFI

My old Eagle 480 has expired and its time to pick something new. I would like a decent unit with nav, SI and WIFI. I can't afford two units so my thoughts are to put a unit at the wheel and WIFI to a 10" tablet on the bow with a ram mount. Looking at the Lowrance TI7 or Simrad GO7 possibly.

The only issue I can think of is that I will always be fishing ahead of the transducer, I have a 19' bass boat. Or I could put another SI on the trolling motor with a switch? The switches and extra transducers are $$$ to me.

Just looking for some input, good idea, bad idea or completely new idea. Would like to stay in $800 range. I keep an eye on the sale forum, but the ones in my price range go quick.

Thanks
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

2. Member
    I'm no expert but that money would get something like a helix 9 and then you could put a di transducer on the tm with a switch, mount it on a ram and turn it toward the front so you can see it from the deck. Probably not ideal but it could get you by till you can buy a 2nd unit. I really doubt you would want si on your trolling motor.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

I'm running Simrad GO7 with an iPad at the bow on a ram mount. Couldnt be happier with this set up and haven't had any issues being ahead of the transducer.
    1991 Storm 20'6 ( Double Cheesy )
    1998 Merc 225 EFI
    Bob's Jackplate
    SIMRAD GO7
    Dual Power Pole Sportsman 2's

How does it do with picking up bottom at speed? I dont see an option to y-cable a second transducer on the simrad
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

5. Banned
    just do some research. most allow you to mirror a unit to a tablet but not control it. some allow you to control it, but i can't think of anything in that price range

Have researched it. Simrad will let me control unit from tablet. Not sure if I can y-cable for an inhull ducer for depth at speed.

Question was, does the totalscan work for depth at speed.
    Last edited by Haughton; 02-22-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    just do some research. most allow you to mirror a unit to a tablet but not control it. some allow you to control it, but i can't think of anything in that price range
    Ok - I'll bite. By "mirror" do you mean either via wifi or a video out port - or, is there another way?
    (I am planning an upgrade from a lowrance x85; so, be gentle )
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Yes, mirror to a tablet what is on the depth finder screen. Like troy said, some just mirror the screen and some let you also change screens, settings..etc. it is really confusing as some need special wifi boxes, some built-in. They are getting complicated for sure, especially at the higher end units.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

9. Banned
    yes via wifi. just as an example, garmin lets you view and control any unit via the built in wifi. you can also record everything shown on the unit to your smart phone or table with the helm app. that's how i did these videos

10. Member
    Cool - so, if the boss approves my echomap 73sv or 93sv purchase, either will have built-in wifi?
    (If so, that entertains HUGE possibilities.)

Thanks ..
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

It looks like I can move up to the lowrance hds 7 gen3 (000-11785-001), has both transducers and wifi for arond $900. Should be able to put lss on jackplate and other ducer in bilge area for depth at higher speed. This one seems to have more growing options like networking...etc
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298