Speed loss with talons?

Trying to decide if it's worth making my talons easy to detach for lakes I don't need them on. I'm wondering what kind of mph difference I'll get with them off.
    Im running 68 on average with two 8' talons on my 08 20i with 250 hpdi

Most boats round here is bout 2 mph....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Most boats round here is bout 2 mph....
    I would agree with this. I am seeing 1mph loss with 1 12' Talon. I also believe you have a few MPH to gain in that rig as well, unless you are really load heavy or density altitude is getting you.

4. Member
    Ok thanks. I was kinda hoping more of a difference. I guess I'll just leave them back there.
    My bug will hit 70s by myself with very little fuel and gear but two guys at 500 pounds and full tank of gas
    in tournaments I'm running 67 to 69 all day. Is that not normal?

5. Member
    Its an acceptable speed but I believe you should be breaking 70 on tournament day with empty livewells.

6. Member
    That's about what my 07 zx250 runs all day and I carry all kinds of stuff tool bag, extra prop and way to much soft plastics. I'm running a 25m prop would love to get a better prop but it works

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    That's about what my 07 zx250 runs all day and I carry all kinds of stuff tool bag, extra prop and way to much soft plastics. I'm running a 25m prop would love to get a better prop but it works
    Get that 25M heavy cupped. I ran one on my 20i it was faster than a B&B 25T1 with 2 people. I would be cautious about slinging a blade though.

8. Member
    I did run a 25 tempest plus while my prop was being worked. I actually think it carried the boat a lot nicer than the t1 but best I was getting outa it was 65 mph and 5600 rpm which makes me wonder what a 24 would do on it

9. Member
    1 to 2 mph loss for me, but worth it.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO