Thread: Optimax problem

Optimax problem

Optimax problem

2001 Optimax 150. Will start fine and run fine for approximately one hour and then will start to surge and bog if I try to accelerate. When this happens, moving the trim switch makes it stumble and sound like it's going to stall. Releasing the switch immediately returns it to surging and bogging while trying to accelerate. I put the boat on the trailer and the next time I use it it and runs fine again for about an hour and the problem stars in again. The batteries are 1000 MCA and good. It shows no codes, low and high pressure fuel pumps were replaced about a year ago, coils check out, all wiring seems to be secure and making good contact. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Serial number OT392967
    Last edited by weprint; 02-15-2017 at 06:50 PM.

2. Member
    Those who will assist you will need the serial number of the Optimax...
    Mark it Zero!

3. Member
    Serial number OT392967.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the fuel SUPPLY system:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Answered your other post in the Merc forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Thanks for the reply. The line between the tank and engine was replaced previously with ethanol resistant material and I took out the check valve at the tank but still have the problem. One thing I have noticed is that the fuel bulb gets firm but I can still compress it if I squeeze harder. I replaced the bulb but no difference. When the problem is occurring, I have tried squeezing the bulb but doesn't help.

I was thinking electrical problem since trimming drops the RPM so radically when the problem occurs but do you think this has nothing to do with it?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the fuel SUPPLY system:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS
    ALL listed items (from the above link) should have been done AT THE SAME TIME. You should go back and address the ones you missed.

Don't substitute materials, don't piece-meal the project (or you may be chasing problems for months).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor