200 EFI diaphram pump kit question.

I am replacing the fuel lines on my 2003 200 EFI serial # OT773879 and I read it is recomended that I check the diaphram pump for contamination also. How much of a challange is it to rebuild from a kit? Or should I just buy a new pump as a prcaution? Does the Kit come with instructions? Is there any thing else that I should be aware off? I have searched alot of the posts and can't find the anwsers. Thanks.

It's pretty easy. 20 minutes first time, 10 minutes after that. If you take it apart to check it for contamination, it's going to need rebuilt anyhow. And Don's fuel line rebuild guidelines will tell you to rebuild it when you do the gas lines. Also replace the fuel/water separator (and primer bulb if you weren't planning on that with the liens). Any contamination from the lines will be into the pulse fuel pump and the fuel/water separator, and old primer bulbs can and will break down just as badly as the old fuel lines.

Rebuilding the pump and the fuel/water separator are yearly maintenance items that are cheap and easy to do.

The Mercury kit comes with good instructions. I usually lay everything on a shop towel in the same orientation as shown in the instructions to make sure nothing gets turned around. The way the gaskets and pump pieces are manufactured makes this pretty easy to see. The most important thing to note that isn't very obvious is not to overtighten the bolts. The torque specs given are in INCH-pounds, not foot pounds.

Do NOT buy the Sierra or other generics...ask me how I know!

You'll also need to pick up some of the Mercury Sta Straps. They don't come with the kit, are needed, and you shouldn't use regular zip ties to reinstall the lines.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Thank you for your help. I'll give it a try.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Looks like on some of the pumps you have to drill out the pump body for the new kits to work.
    Don't know if it applies to yours or which ones.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Won't be necessary on this model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Ok I replaced the fuel line and bulb and put a kit in the pump. Is there a priming procedure that I need to do? Or just keep pumping the bulb until I get pressure? I haven't put in on muffs and tried to start it yet. I should have asked this sooner.

8. Member
    Basic idea is to squeeze bulb until firm, then turn key on, wait 3 seconds, turn it off. Repeat. Until the bulb remains firm. Then it's ready to crank.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riffminer View Post
    Ok I replaced the fuel line and bulb and put a kit in the pump. Is there a priming procedure that I need to do? Or just keep pumping the bulb until I get pressure? I haven't put in on muffs and tried to start it yet. I should have asked this sooner.
    Theres no special priming procedure. Squeeze the ball like you normally would till it's firm then start it up and check for leaks and you're good.

10. Member
    Thanks. I'll do that.

11. Member
    I put the muffs on it and it started right up. Thanks for all the help.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar