Humminbird Heading Sensor

Bought a heading sensor for the helix 9 di on the bow. Already have one for the 898 at the console. My question might be dumb, but do I need 2 of them or is there a way to link both units to the heading sensor I already have?

You can link the HS GPS to both units if they are connected via Ethernet ...... The problem with the Helix line is that if you share the HS GPS, both the HS and the GPS data are shared. This can result in inaccurate waypoints since at least one of the units will be using GPS data that is quite distance from it's transducer.

With the Onix and Solix, the HS can be shared separately.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

You cannot share the Heading sensor separate from GPS unless you have ONIX or SOLIX units. With your current setup you could only use the Heading sensor and get GPS from where ever the HS antenna is.

For what you have, I suggest you move the AS GPS HS to the bow connected to the Helix to take advantage of the Heading sensor while fishing, and use the original GPS antenna that came with whichever 898 you have or use the AS GRP antenna with the 898.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You cannot share the Heading sensor separate from GPS unless you have ONIX or SOLIX units. With your current setup you could only use the Heading sensor and get GPS from where ever the HS antenna is.

For what you have, I suggest you move the AS GPS HS to the bow connected to the Helix to take advantage of the Heading sensor while fishing, and use the original GPS antenna that came with whichever 898 you have or use the AS GRP antenna with the 898.
    So basically are you saying swap antennas around? I'm not sure what HS I have for the 898, it's whatever it came with from the factory. And the one I just bought is the AS GRP.

Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    So basically are you saying swap antennas around? I'm not sure what HS I have for the 898, it's whatever it came with from the factory. And the one I just bought is the AS GRP.
    If you have the antenna that came with the unit, it is NOT a heading sensor antenna. It is probably the AS GR-50. The AS GRP is not a heading sensor GPS antenna either, it replaced the AS GR-50.
    There is only one with a heading sensor AS GPS HS.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Exactly.

I have my trolling motor down 99.8795% of the time I am fishing and most likely to drop a WP.

I share my HS puck to the other units almost exclusively, but for the utmost in accuracy - you would need to have a puck over the transom XDCR when marking way points under way and scanning from the transom.

What works for me, doesn't necessarily work for everybody.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    If you have the antenna that came with the unit, it is NOT a heading sensor antenna. It is probably the AS GR-50. The AS GRP is not a heading sensor GPS antenna either, it replaced the AS GR-50.
    There is only one with a heading sensor AS GPS HS.

so is the AS GRP I just bought of any use to me for the helix DI I have on the bow? I guess I'm not understanding what a heading sensor is...

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    http://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-GPS-HS/

Right here ... Has a compass in it.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    so is the AS GRP I just bought of any use to me for the helix DI I have on the bow? I guess I'm not understanding what a heading sensor is...
    The GRP is of no benefit at the bow unless you unit's internal GPS antenna fails. Just unnecessary added cable management.

A Heading Sensor is a compass. Its benefit is to show the direction the bow is pointed. That is a wanted feature when moving less than .6 mph when the map curser turns to a ( O ) since GPS cannot calculate direction below that speed.
    Since you would be going less than .6 mph when fishing at the bow with the trolling motor, that is the location it has its benefit.
    Other brands use a Heading Sensor to keep their position curser from wandering around or the map from flipping directions when going that slow.

When navigating faster than .6 mph you get the Course Projection Line to indicate direction or just the position curser would point in the travel direction (depending on the setting).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    The GRP is of no benefit at the bow unless you unit's internal GPS antenna fails. Just unnecessary added cable management.

A Heading Sensor is a compass. Its benefit is to show the direction the bow is pointed. That is a wanted feature when moving less than .6 mph when the map curser turns to a ( O ) since GPS cannot calculate direction below that speed.
    Since you would be going less than .6 mph when fishing at the bow with the trolling motor, that is the location it has its benefit.
    Other brands use a Heading Sensor to keep their position curser from wandering around or the map from flipping directions when going that slow.

When navigating faster than .6 mph you get the Course Projection Line to indicate direction or just the position curser would point in the travel direction (depending on the setting).

Gotcha....this clears things up for me....guess I bought the wrong puck. Lol

11. Member
    I'm going to piggyback off of this with a similar question.
    I have a Solix 12 at the console with a heading gps antenna connected near the transom, and a Helix 12 at the bow using the internal gps. I also have the Ultrex which has a heading sensor at the bow. Is there no way to share the heading to the helix unit from either of the heading sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by drgrammer View Post
    I'm going to piggyback off of this with a similar question.
    I have a Solix 12 at the console with a heading gps antenna connected near the transom, and a Helix 12 at the bow using the internal gps. I also have the Ultrex which has a heading sensor at the bow. Is there no way to share the heading to the helix unit from either of the heading sensors?
    You cannot share anything but waypoints between ONIX/SOLIX and Helix/Number series units.

The Minnkota heading sensor ONLY communicates with iPilot via Bluetooth.

Bottom line=NO.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Ok. Next question, I also have a 998 HD up at the bow I use just for mapping. If I purchase another heading/GPS puck for the bow can I get the gps and heading data from the new puck on both the helix and 998 units at the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by drgrammer View Post
    Ok. Next question, I also have a 998 HD up at the bow I use just for mapping. If I purchase another heading/GPS puck for the bow can I get the gps and heading data from the new puck on both the helix and 998 units at the bow?
    Yes, via Ethernet. You chose the unit that has the antenna connected to it as the source for GPS in the Network menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Thanks so much. I really don't need the heading on the Solix at the console so I may just swap then antennas as suggested above. I really appreciate the assistance!