Buying a used verado 200?

Still shopping around, 2012 4 cylinder model with 180 hours, 2 years left on platinum, what would be wise to look for? I know with a 2 stroke compression test, etc, what about this one?

2. Member
    There's a good guide in the FAQ. But besides compression at least check the L/U for water. Prop shaft for no significant runout (bent). I always look at the skeg. Sand bars are hard on props, propshaft and leave their visible effects on the keg (is it still black or worn to bare aluminum). But follow the guide for help. Worth taking to a good shop as in addition to checking compression (correctly) they can give you a breakdown of hours. Will show you both how much it was run and how hard.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Marina where seller keeps the boat says $350 for a pre purchase inspection, and they check"everything". Im inclined to pay it for piece of mind, because it is 7 hours away, but is this a reasonable fee for such a service??

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Depends on the prevailing labor rate in that area. It's a bit higher than we would charge here...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Cylinder leak down test is good to get on a 4stroke