Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

200hp Johnson only getting spark from power pack on Cyl 3 and 5

My motor is 1999 J200STLEDM I was having problems getting on plane and only able to get to about 43mph on 21ft Stratos bass boat. After researching and buying some test equipment I was only getting voltage from power pack to cyl 3 and 5 both above the 100v. None of the other cylinders have voltage when cranking. I bought a new power pack and same results what should I do next? I have tried all of the CDI recommendations and tests come back good.

2. Member
    Welcome to the forum. When testing this ignition system and you find you have no spark, it is best to start testing at the beginning source. Have you tested stator output? Then have you tested the sensor timer base output? A good battery, fully charged? Motor rpm's at cranking speed seem to be as fast as before the problem. I would get a real OEM service manual for your motor, it will have all the info you need to work on your motor and the correct specifications. Look at the top of the page in the sticky section, you may be able to download a manual. When doing a spark test on this motor you may have to disconnect a couple of plugs, maybe from the power pack and the temp sensor, The service manual will explain this if it is necessary. I just can't remember for sure. You also could disconnect the shift interrupter switch and see if that makes a difference. ChampioNman will be along to help, he is a very, very, good tech with a lot of experience on motors like yours.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    your motor is a 1996 not a 1999. Firing order is 1,2,3,4,5,6. First thing to try would be to disconnect the shift interrupt switch. Follow the wire harness up the right side of the motor from the shift linkage area on the bottom of the motor. Disconnect the black/yellow wire that connects at the top of the power pack on the right side. Test for spark. Make sure the leads from the stator to the pack are connected correctly brown and brow/yellow connect to the left side brown brown on the pack. Check the orange high tension wires on each side of the motor to the coils. From top to bottom orange/blue, Orange, orange/green. Look under the flywheel, for burnt/discolored coils and on top of the block for melted insulation.
    You may have to pull the flywheel and check the timing collar on the underside of the wheel for the timing marks. There is a diagram on the CDI site for correct orientation.

4. Member
    I have service manual and have checked everything in it except pulling flywheel. My motor starts fine and runs but has a mis every so often and does not want to plane out without someone on front of bow and not getting above 43mph but reaches 5300rpm. All things check out good my only findings are when cranking and checking the orange leads from powerpack to coils using dva and load adapter I get around 150v now from cyl 2,3,4,5 but no readings on 1 and 6. I was only getting it on 2 and 3 yesterday and now 2 others are getting readings. I replaced the power pack thinking that was the problem but it did not change. The only other finding I am not sure about is I get good volts and ohms on testing timer base except I get no volts from port side white to starboard side white/black. It does not say anything about this in my OEM manual but does on the CDI site says I should get 5V when cranking. I have done all other tests in manual and everything seems good. Sorry I gave you the numbers for the lower unit which is 1996 but upper motor is 1999, I think lower unit was replaced before I bought this boat many years ago with a 1996 and have not had any problems until recently.

5. Member
    I don't think you would get any volts D to D. Did you connect the D's in each plug D to D with a jumper wire? Volt meter set a 5 volts when you tested the timer base. When ever I had problems as you describe, intermittent spark and spark moving around, I would suspect the stator, not always the case, and hard to find without removing the flywheel and looking for melted potting. Sometimes the ohms test will be a hint if it's off some. Don't be so sure that a new CDI power pack is a good one.

6. Member
    I talked to a CDI tech on phone today, he had me move pins around in the timer base and recheck voltage. He says I definitely have a bad timer base after the tests we did. I ordered everything to do the job and will post results after. Thanks so far for the help if anyone thinks it is something else we are missing please let me know.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I agree with Jerry, I'd look at the stator and at least check the index on the collar.
    I would also run it on the water and push in on the key to enrichen the fuel. If the motor picks up then you have fuel issue if it bogs then you do have an electrical issue.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erto12 View Post
    I talked to a CDI tech on phone today, he had me move pins around in the timer base and recheck voltage. He says I definitely have a bad timer base after the tests we did. I ordered everything to do the job and will post results after. Thanks so far for the help if anyone thinks it is something else we are missing please let me know.
    What was it that P T Barnum said? You have invested a lot of money in getting the right tools, now is the time to invest your money in good quality BRP parts. We've had members buy a CDI power pack that did not fix the problem, sent the pack back to CDI, they tested it and said it was OK. Installed again and no go, after urging from us bought a BRP pack and no more problems. What I'm saying is don't put all your trust in CDI. Moving pins around? I've never had to do that and I don't know why anyone would. The test procedure in the service manual works every time if done correctly, it could be the timer base and I hope it fixes your problem. Just remember CDI has something to sell you, the techs and members here do not.

9. Member
    Thanks for the comments so far. I really hope he is right but I know they are selling their products. I bought the correct flywheel puller online because no one here has them locally, I am having the shipping expedited so I can pull it off Friday or Saturday to start inspecting. I will check things out before installing the new timer base I ordered. I am learning a lot about my motor so I am excited all because my mechanic is too busy right now. My son is in a high school bass fishing club and has a tourney on Sunday so hoping to fix it by then, if not we will go at it with trolling motor and back to learning more about my motor. Thanks again I will post findings as soon as I get the flywheel off.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    That is a big rig for a 200.....did it just start doing this?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't know why you are expediting a flywheel puller you could have used the Harmonic balancer puller from any local auto parts store. I've been using the same one for the last 20 years, it also doubles as a lift ring. But your money,,good luck. CDI among most of us stands for Can't Deliver Ignition. If you are going to use their parts then use all of their parts, Stator, Timer base, power pack and voltage regulator. They seem to not to play well with OEM parts.

12. Member
    Bassmeister Just started yes. ChampioNman I have never used a flywheel puller and wanted to make sure I definitely got one that would work. Also I have never done any repairs on my boat this is new to me. I have worked on cars but not boats I wish I would be more patient and wait for replies but I want it done so I think I am jumping the gun on buying stuff to fix it.
    Last edited by erto12; 02-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erto12 View Post
    ChampioNman I have never used a flywheel puller and wanted to make sure I definitely got one that would work. Also I have never done any repairs on my boat this is new to me. I have worked on cars but not boats I wish I would be more patient and wait for replies but I want it done so I think I am jumping the gun on buying stuff to fix it.
    Sorry we can't be here 24X7X365 for you. We don't get paid, and volunteer our time. With the exception of Jughead, we have businesses to run and try to dedicate as much time here as possible. That's why there are stickies and an excellent search feature. Good luck hope you get it repaired quickly.

14. Member
    Wow! I'm an exception! I've been a pain in the butt several times, and now I've reached exception status. Keep the faith and stay tuned.

15. Member
    Ever since I raised my shop rate to $385.00 per hour, I've not been to swamped with work.

16. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    With the price of parts on these old motors, it's usually my wallet that forces me to be patient.

Trust me erto12, these guys are on here most every day. And their knowledge and assistance is priceless. Give them a detailed explanation of your problems and they will point you in the right direction. Sure hope you get her figured out in time for your boys tournament on Sunday.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Wow! I'm an exception! I've been a pain in the butt several times, and now I've reached exception status. Keep the faith and stay tuned.
    You being as old as Methuselah I figured you were retired by now.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You being as old as Methuselah I figured you were retired by now.
    You know it bud.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Figured you need a siesta time that's why you got the exception. Plus I know it takes time away from the PC to load the dish washer and push start.

20. Member
    You guys are awesome and very appreciated thank you. I appreciate the time you put into helping others and very quick responses. I was stupid and bought most of the stuff before I ever posted, it didn't fix it that's why I started looking for a forum like this. I almost bought the timer base and was just looking for some confirmation to buy it and that's exactly what the CDI tech did (sell me on his product). After listening to you guys I have my doubts. Other forums on other sites it looks like it takes weeks to get a response from someone. Also just a few updates on how stupid I am I, I had a Clymer manual not an OMC did not realize until I just used the sticky 316jughead recommended. I downloaded it and it is much more detailed. I think I am wrong on the year of my motor too, I assumed it was a 1999 with 1996 lower unit because the sticker on the back under the cowling says confirms to EPA model year 1999. I realize now they just probably made sure it complied with newest restrictions and was sold with my 1999 boat. Engine Family X1PXM0183210 serial #NC00012344

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast