Eyra deck layout vs Cougar

OK....getting close to upgrading from my 2015 P2. Went to the boat show, and sat in both the Eyra and Cougar.....and for me, I love the Cougar layout better. But... I have a space problem with my garage. The Eyra will just fit....the Cougar is too long. So, I may have to go with the Eyra. But I'm wondering what any Eyra owners have to say about the deck/storage layout of their boats. I find the coffin style lids a bit unusual vs the Cougar's 'traditional' layout. Eyra owners....now that you've fished with them....what's your thoughts?

Next....I'm wondering why the Cougar is just 2" longer than the Eyra....but the min. storage length is 7" longer ??? If I could get the Cougar's storage length down...I know what I'd order.

Thanks in advance for any feedback !!!
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

2. Member
    well so funny. I am getting ready to order and I like the Eyra layout better and love the coffin lids. Also like the styling and just overall layout. I also like that it is 20 2. Guess that is why we are all different. Good luck and hope you get what you like

3. Member
    Personally. I love the eyra layout!! I just wish it was bigger like my Puma ftd. The eyra is the closest to the p2 when your on the trollingmotor in my opinion. You will love the layout.

4. Member
    Maybe if the motor could be set in the running position rather than the towing position for storring.
    You might just make it in your garage.

Odie

I owned a 2013 Eyra and would take the Eyra over any the others any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The coffin type storage actually works out perfectly with 3700 series boxes, or any other size you wish to use.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

6. Member
    I came from a different brand and was initially worried if I could fit all my tackle in my Eyra. Not only did it all fit.....I had space left over. As for the layout, I absolutely LOVE the coffin lids. One step to the left or one step to the right and I can access all my gear. no more walking off the deck, opening a compartment, stepping back up on the deck. It's a lot easier and I have less fatigue at the end of the day. The coffin lids are great!

I was in the same situation back in December. Bought the Eyra and love the layout. The Cougar and Puma wouldn't fit in my garage and I didn't think the Eyra would either but it does by about a 1/4 inch. Either way I'd buy the Eyra again, absolutely thrilled with the boat. Tons of storage, handles great, looks great, and a blast to drive.

Cougar FTD for me. I cant get over the coffin lockers and the fact my legs hit the console in the drivers seat. I'm just 5'10".... Other then that i like the Eyras! With a little redesign around the driver console for more leg room i think it would be MUCH better for many people. Well those that can get used to the coffin lockers :) Great boat either way! Its all about preference thats why Bass Cat has other models other then just the Erya that will perform like it!
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

9. Member
    Thank you all for the great feedback !!! I'm sure either the Eyra or Cougar will be great to drive....just wasn't sure of the coffin lids on the Eyra....but most of you love them...so, I'll give them a try !!!!
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

Good choice in the Eyra! The Puma/Cougar do not drive like the Eyra. You will have to put a little more driver input into the Eyra when rung out, but it is way more responsive. One thing with the Eyra, you will want a hydraulic jack plate.
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

11. Member
    was told same thing to me that the Eyra is best with hyd jack plate

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    Cougar FTD for me. I cant get over the coffin lockers and the fact my legs hit the console in the drivers seat. I'm just 5'10".... Other then that i like the Eyras! With a little redesign around the driver console for more leg room i think it would be MUCH better for many people. Well those that can get used to the coffin lockers :) Great boat either way! Its all about preference thats why Bass Cat has other models other then just the Erya that will perform like it!
    I my memory serves correctly. They changed something for 2017. I'm 6'6" and drove one fine.

13. Member
    I am 6'4" and have a 2012 Cougar FTD. I sat in an Eyra at the OI in 2016 and maybe it's the way I sit, but the console was not a problem. The front deck is noticeably narrower (more pointed)where you stand than the Cougar. However, it has two seat pole holes, and in the rear hole with the TM pedal forward it fit me like a glove. In my Cougar the hole is too far forward to be comfortable leaning on the butt seat because of my height. So, I like the Eyra as a fishing platform, and if I don't like the Lynx I will probably buy an Eyra for my next boat.

14. Member
    Another vote for the coffin lids and Eyra storage. Loved not having to walk off the deck to access my boxes. Just turn around and grab what you need. You'll have no shortage of space to put stuff.

15. Member
    I came from a more "conventional" style designed deck boat in a stratos 200 pro xl to the Eyra I have now. I will admit that I was curious as to how I would adapt to the unique layout of the Eyra. I can tell you now though without question that I wouldn't change a thing. I've grown to love the coffin style layout. I was initially skeptical as to how big they were and if I could store all of my normal front deck items up there. The coffin style compartments are deceivingly large and I ended up having alot of extra space for things. While initially looking at the deck, some people might think its not for them...but after having utilized it, in my opinion..the functionality is there....and it grows on you quickly. Cant go wrong either way, but you're not alone in your concerns...and if you were to poll all who jumped in with the Eyra, I think you'll find that most, if not all owners love it! Good luck!

Hey Don,

You already know my thoughts and I looked hard at the Eyra, Cougar and Puma but the Eyra was it. I came from a TR-21 which was a bit larger with a very traditional layout and one of the front deck compartments was huge; however, we've had no issues with the storage (we carry no less stuff for sure) nor with using the storage. It's different but as others have noted, is actually easier to access in some ways. To me the only decision points are a little extra width on the front and maybe a tad more room in the cockpit/floor area. I really don't think the storage is much different in volume, just access method. They'll both run like scalded apes which Will can make good use of so you're covered either way there.
    If you guys want to load up mine and test it, you're always welcome.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS