Thread: Oil pump oddity

Oil pump oddity

I carried my boat to a Merc dealer to have the oil pump replaced (as discussed here last week). As I was leaving, the guy that signed my boat in said "you do realize that your motor will be back in break-in mode since we have to prime the oil pump?" I quickly replied "You are supposed to be able to hook up the Merc computer to the motor and do the oil pump prime without doing the shift lever trick, which doesn't put it back into double oil." He tried to tell me that the computer hookup also puts it into double oil mode. Obviously not right. Here is a question for the pros with a computer. Is it possible when I pick this up (today or tomorrow) for them to (a) hook it BACK up to the computer to see if it is actually in break-in mode and (b) if it is, can the computer be used to turn it back off again or is it a once on, burn oil for two+ hours deal?

I won't name the dealer (yet) until I see what happens. As the guy that writes things up might not be the actual tech that does the work and knows what he is doing.

comments?
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

2. Member
    I'm 99% sure that if they put the motor in "Break-in Mode", you will have to count the clock down by running the motor......

Your Mercmonitor will indicate if the Break-in mode is set.

3. Member
    If I were to guess OldTimer I would bet the unnamed dealership is also a place you could land an airplane....

4. Member
    No. They had a backlog of 2-3 weeks. This was in t-town. However, it appears to NOT be in break-in mode. So the person I talked to was probably guessing.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil pump PRIME (on the Computer Diagnostic System) is what they should have done.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    You might appreciate the humor here. When we got it back, it appeared that the tech had pretty well cleaned up everything, including the oil pooled at the bottom of the cowl around the gasket. I wanted to check the strainer, per your comments elsewhere, and split the cowl to remove it. While I was fiddling with the strainer, my son decided to REALLY clean the cowl bottom. Soap and water, and then he used an alcohol wipe. When I started to reassemble, the bottom of the cowl would NOT seat. When he told me about the wash and clean job, I realized everything was squeaky clean. A little silicon spray and it slipped back up flush with zero effort. Sometimes you can out-smart yourself (or your son can, anyway) it seems. :) Did found a lot of grass on the strainer, but nowhere near blocked. I reverse flushed using the fitting on the bottom cowl and some more grass was dumped out. Probably will do this every three months or so since I see more than my fair share of grass and stuff on Lay...
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor