Hydraulic steering help

Looking to replace the cable steering on my 2007 285XL, 150 yamaha VMax with hydraulic steering. Does anyone happen to know which model/system would be best? What size hoses? Looking at the Seastar website and it's a bit confusing. I would appreciate any helpful guidance. I've never owned a boat with hydraulic steering so it's all new to me. Thanks!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinceismyhero View Post
    Looking to replace the cable steering on my 2007 285XL, 150 yamaha VMax with hydraulic steering. Does anyone happen to know which model/system would be best? What size hoses? Looking at the Seastar website and it's a bit confusing. I would appreciate any helpful guidance. I've never owned a boat with hydraulic steering so it's all new to me. Thanks!

I just installed a SeaStar Hyd PRO in my 285 Pro.Went with 16' hoses.

Thanks! Did you have to remove your engine to install it? Do you mind me asking about what that cost?

Won't have to remove the motor but you will need to remove the top and bottom cowlings to get to everything.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

Any recommendations where to purchase?

6. Member
    Any recommendations where to purchase?
    I just put mine in, got the SeaStar Pro from Pitstop Marine. I did not have to remove my motor, but did cut the old cables at the motor with die grinder. Easy install but takes a few hours because I went slow and made sure things were right. Here's a tip: when you drill out your dash hole for the new helm, if you use a 3" hole saw, put the drill in reverse to score a circular groove in the console material first. Get the score about an 1/8th inch deep, then reverse the drill to normal and finish the hole. You won't be able to hold the drill steady if you don't. Also, be careful to hook the hoses to the correct sides of the steering piston....ask me how I know! When you bleed/purge the system, get a friend to help....sooooo much easier. One other thing to note, the SeaStar helm is about one inch longer than the Stratos/Teleflex steering, so your steering wheel will sit a bit closer to you in the driving position...I like it better that way. Best upgrade I've done to the boat hands down.
    1997 Stratos 201 Pro Elite DC
    2006 Etec 200HO

7. Member
    Thanks! Did you have to remove your engine to install it? Do you mind me asking about what that cost?
    I bought it off EBAY, about $1150.00.
    No didn't remove motor.

I did cut the steering cables, they would have been a bear to get out.

I used a pc of 3/4 plywood and made a template for the helm pump bolts and 3" hole, predrilled everything then cut it into a 4" circle that I clamped to the helm. Drilled perfect with no wandering.

I can't stress enough to read the directions and use two guys when bleeding the system, we went thru it twice and will probably do it again. The tech told me that air bubbles could still be in system and wait at least 4 hours to re bleed. That is not in directions.

Good Luck
    Nailer

Great information guys!!! Thank you so much

9. Member
    Oh by the way. If you are anal about your steering wheel being centered, HYD steering is not for youˇ!!!!!!!!! BAWAAAHAAA.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NailerB View Post
    Oh by the way. If you are anal about your steering wheel being centered, HYD steering is not for youˇ!!!!!!!!! BAWAAAHAAA.
    I got lucky and nailed mine dead center, but I gotta be honest it was pure luck...I know exactly what you mean, tough to get that thing centered!
    1997 Stratos 201 Pro Elite DC
    2006 Etec 200HO

11. Member
    Sorry. You may have had it perfect but it will never stay there. When you are turning hard at lock the system goes into bypass and when you come back to center on engine steering wheel will be off. They recommend using a three spoke wheel so it is not noticeable.

12. Member
    It's not just the bypass. The thing is not a perfect seal in the helm, so if any pressure is being exerted on the steering while running, the motor will SLOWLY turn that direction. Normally it tries to inch to the right, you hold a little left steering to keep it straight, and the wheel will ever-so-slow turn left while the boat is going straight ahead. Perfectly normal, not a thing you can do about it.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    I just purchased a used 2005 275 pro xl. It's has 150 mercury xr6 with cable steering. Pretty tough steering. I've been looking at the hydraulic steering options. The baystar system says it's good for up to 150hp and I can get the kit for about $600. The seastar kit is about $1200. Has anyone tried using the baystar on bass boat setup? Any help is appreciated!

14. Member
    Bay star will be fine just not as easy to turn as the seastar or sea star pro