Thread: Ultrex Problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex Problem

The harness retainer at the head of the Ultrex came out of place. Not sure how it happened or how to get it back in place. Does anyone know how to do it.

2. Member
    PM me the contact information to use and MinnKota will call you to talk you through reinstalling and possible problems
    Thanks
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    I think I know what exactly what happened there, when I first installed my Ultrex and was deploying the trolling motor in my garage I noticed that every time I pulled and lift on the pull cord it grabs a hold of that cable and puts a lot of tension on the cable (on the area where it came off in the picture). I was kind of worry that this might happen if I do it too much, now I really have to be careful when I pull on the cord after seeing this. I think this is a design flaw.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

4. Member
    Happened to me as well. I noticed as the trolling motor turns when the spot lock is on, the cord can get caught on one of the loops against the trolling motor shaft and it pulls out of the base. Very easy to pop back in with a flat head screw driver.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
    Happened to me as well. I noticed as the trolling motor turns when the spot lock is on, the cord can get caught on one of the loops against the trolling motor shaft and it pulls out of the base. Very easy to pop back in with a flat head screw driver.
    If it happens to me I'll just get out the 2 part epoxy and put er back in.. that should stop that crap

6. Member
    Just noticed today the same thing happened to mine and glad I saw this post...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member
    The cable hits that every time you lift the Ultrex into the boat.

8. Member
    The strain relief or whatever they call that shouldn't be pulling out of the housing with the cable hitting it during lifting or they have something designed wrong. With it failing that fast, it should have be discovered during factory testing. I've only had two trips on the water and maybe 30-40 deployments and really not sure when it occurred.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

9. Banned
    you guys figure it out before i order

10. Member
    Things that can cause it: First, it wasn't put in good at the factory and popped out with use. Also, the coil cable on the early models would grab the depth collar adjustment knob while it was rotating. MinnKota has addressed this by making the coils fewer and larger as well as placing the knob closer to the depth collar. Also, if someone zipties the US2 cable or the eithernet cable to the coil cord, it will cause it to pull out. A flat bladed screwdriver can be used to pop it back in.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Mine did the same thing and I just put it back in place. It have been fine since.

Quote Originally Posted by tnbassin View Post
    The harness retainer at the head of the Ultrex came out of place. Not sure how it happened or how to get it back in place. Does anyone know how to do it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    you guys figure it out before i order
    Yes....please. This kind of stuff is why I have been waiting.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I looked at mine and it's a plastic peace instead of an aluminum peace that retains the cable. Is that an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    The strain relief or whatever they call that shouldn't be pulling out of the housing with the cable hitting it during lifting or they have something designed wrong. With it failing that fast, it should have be discovered during factory testing. I've only had two trips on the water and maybe 30-40 deployments and really not sure when it occurred.

Did a lot of inspecting over the weekend fishing both days and now have been out with the Ultrex 10 times and around 100 times deployed and stowed. As mine has not pulled out yet I can definitely see where the cable is pulling across the coil connection point every time I deploy. This is due to the angle the mount lays across the bow and if you are conscious of this and reach out to keep it in line and away from the power coil it may never pull out. Although this is not idea and obviously a design issue or if you have a left hand mount the cable and power housing should be on the left or if you have it mounted on the right then it should be on the right as from the factory.

15. Member
    I was able to pop the strain relief back into place as described above and haven't had it back on water since. Tested the deployment on driveway a few times and it remained in place. There seems to be a lot of tension at both ends of the cable. This is my first electric steer motor so not sure if that cable is unique to ultrex or similar on the older models.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

16. Member
    This is why I'm waiting to buy one....

17. Member
    So far 3 trips with ultrex. First trip out pedal switch wouldnt work, i repaired myself. 3rd trip whole pedal locked up and wouldnt move. Pedal sensor problem. This trolling may have other problems over time. May not power up one day when u turn on power switch? Just seems to kot be built tough.

Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    So far 3 trips with ultrex. First trip out pedal switch wouldnt work, i repaired myself. 3rd trip whole pedal locked up and wouldnt move. Pedal sensor problem. This trolling may have other problems over time. May not power up one day when u turn on power switch? Just seems to kot be built tough.
    My pedal locked up also on my second trip. I have a whole new trolling motor they sent me in the garage. Debating on selling it.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    My pedal locked up also on my second trip. I have a whole new trolling motor they sent me in the garage. Debating on selling it.
    Alot to go through broke down on water. They said pressure sensor went out on pedal. But when i repaired the off/switch its a really flawed and bad design. The magnet can be pushed to far away to make contact, with pedal usage over time. It should be a solid fixed switch design. The magnet is only a press fit in plastic. Minn kota is sending me a new ultrex. If this new acts up, Ill put back on my motor guide. The spot lock is really the only thing i wanted with the ultrex. Sorry to high jack this thread.

I was at ky for the bfl and put my fortrex back on. Couldn't do anything about it on the water.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast