Thread: Ranger Z118C

Ranger Z118C

Guys, looking for some help. I have a 2015 Ranger Z118C with a Mercurt 150 Pro XS. This weekend with 2 people and tackle i could get 55-56 mph @ 55-5600 RPM, wide open. I'm currently running a Tempest Plus 23 pitch prop. Is there a prop i could switch to that would squeeze a couple more MPH out of it? i feel like to should be able to turn more rpm than that. I've read that it probably wouldn't turn a 24 pitch fury, so i'm curious if anyone has ran one? Let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    How is your lift and water pressure,you might be able to raise the engine a little and squeeze 1-2mph out of it.

Yup raise the engine a 1/4" and rerun. You got a few more rpm's in that motor. Watch your water pressure as u raise it

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    How is your lift and water pressure,you might be able to raise the engine a little and squeeze 1-2mph out of it.
    No jackplate. I just had my water pump replaced. My WP gauge only shows it building around 12 PSI at wide open throttle. Not sure on the lift, it doesn't get real high i'm guessing bc it doesn't even try to walk trimmed up and wide open.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Yup raise the engine a 1/4" and rerun. You got a few more rpm's in that motor. Watch your water pressure as u raise it
    I was thinking it should turn 5800 or so?

6. Member
    I have a 2015 Z118C with a Merc 150 HP, 4 stroke and an Atlas 8" plate and I run 58 GPS with 2 people and BPS in the compartments. I'm running a Bravo 1 FS, 21P at 2 1/2" PTP and the lift is great. Bravo supposedly doesn't run as fast as the Tempest, but I was after a good hole shot more than WOT speed. My typical situation where I fish demands a good hole shot, but the WOT is a risk because of boat traffic and rough water. I get to stretch it out in the morning heading out and at the end of the day if I come in late enough for all of the pontoons to go in and the barge traffic isn't too bad. RPM's at WOT are 5800
    Last edited by sjcorpst; 02-14-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcorpst View Post
    I have a 2015 Z118C with a Mere 150 HP, 4 stroke and an Atlas 8" plate and I run 58 GPS with 2 people and BPS in the compartments. I'm running a Bravo 1 FS, 21P at 2 1/2" PTP and the lift is great. Bravo supposedly doesn't run as fast as the Tempest, but I was after a good hole shot more than WOT speed. My typical situation where I fish demands a good hole shot, but the WOT is a risk because of boat traffic and rough water. I get to stretch it out in the morning heading out and at the end of the day if I come in late enough for all of the pontoons to go in and the barge traffic isn't too bad.

mine jumps out of the hole great, i just feel like it's not turning enough RPM at WOT.

Do a propshaft to pad measurement. If your any deeper than 3.5" your too deep. Probably want to be around 3". You can raise it one bolt hole if its too deep

9. Member
    If it were me I'd invest in a manual jack plate first....

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BHT View Post
    If it were me I'd invest in a manual jack plate first....
    This.... I have 13' z118 with slide master JP. I can hit 58 loaded and 60 with two 2 guys.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Do a propshaft to pad measurement. If your any deeper than 3.5" your too deep. Probably want to be around 3". You can raise it one bolt hole if its too deep
    i'm kinda new to all this, so what is the process to do this measurement? I'm guessing to raise the motor one bolt hole would require an engine hoist of some kind?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyb23 View Post
    i'm kinda new to all this, so what is the process to do this measurement? I'm guessing to raise the motor one bolt hole would require an engine hoist of some kind?
    Yes it would require a lift, not something you should attempt if you're not familiar with this procedure. I'd measure your prop centerline to pad before moving anything and then measure the distance between centers of the bolt it is presently attached with to the center of the next mounting hole. That will give you an idea of whether it is the right amount for raising the engine or it may show it would be too high doing that.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    This.... I have 13' z118 with slide master JP. I can hit 58 loaded and 60 with two 2 guys.
    What engine and prop are you running?

'14 z118 with a 150 pro xs, same prop as you with an 8" plate. Runs 60 solo, 58 with two guys, light load one morning I saw 62 but have not been able to duplicate it.

15. Member
    If you do a jack plate you can adjust the height of the engine with a wrench in the garage. The install of the jack plate would require an over head hoist and Mercury lifting ring, can't imagine your local boat shop would charger you to much to install the jack plate as it shouldn't be but a 2 hour billable job, I'm gonna guess somewhere between $500-$600 installed included the jack plate, maybe others whom have had this done recently might have a better idea on price. Once you have the jack plate adjusting the height (prop to pad) becomes really easy. I certainly wouldn't spend money on other props without a jack plate imo.

16. Member
    I went thru all of this, spent $1000 + to achieve the 56-58 mph mark. and never got there. you are already within the range. is 2 mph really worth the $1000 to get there?
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke