Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1995 135 mercury Stator readings

I'm having a bogging down issue when trying to get on plane, it's been getting worst...once i hit 3400 rpm's it takes off like a rocket so i checked my low speed side of my stator using a digital volt meter on the AC scale and then multiplied that by 1.41 and came up with 150 volts at the blue white striped wire @ 1500 rpms...manual says 250 to 400 volts is the 150 acceptable......i do have a DVA adapter ordered and on it's way.....Thanks again

1995 Mercury 135 carbed

OG274584
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

My DVA reads about 160 at idle....thats probably not your problem.
    Mark
    2003XB/225 Promax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the basics:

-Compression Test
    -Spark Test
    -Fuel Quality/Delivery
    -Tuner Inspection **

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    agree would not take of like rocket if stator was bad would look for other causes /checking fuel system and link and sync timming hope this helps JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Link and sync done a couple of times...new spark plugs....just had power head off and exhaust tuner good.....fuel lines are of the B-1 and 1 year old........seems to get worst the warmer the motor gets thats why i was checking low side if startor and voltage to coils.....acts like a bad accelerator pump in an automotive carb failing, if i feather the throttle not to bad if i just hammer it it will fall on its face
    Bruce Phillips

6. Member
    to lean low speed/ whats idle timming set ???? might richen up mixture on carbs just lil tad adv idle timming smidg
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    to lean low speed/ whats idle timming set ???? might richen up mixture on carbs just lil tad adv idle timming smidg
    I don't remember what it was Joe...i have also been fighting idle issues....i going to look at one of the plugs and see what color the porcelain is....also thinking about putting new needle and seats in carb's since they have never been touched that i can see...are the original needles viton( rubber) tipped ....but will check timing and compression.
    Bruce Phillips

8. Member
    they are rubber tipped/ before you go into carbs just try to richen it up a lil with air screws also check spark arm movment for full motion

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1/8-1/4 turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE from factory settings on the idle-air needles for best results with today's fuels.

Make sure the trigger is advancing with the throttle (not lagging behind), also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I fattened it up about an 1/8 of a turn on all the carbs and bumped my idle timing from 4 degrees ATC to 3 degrees and idling around 1,000 rpm on muffs...so we will see how that works...also pulled a couple spark plugs and they looked pretty good as far as color of porcelains.
    Bruce Phillips

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to set the idle for 650 (+/- 50) in FORWARD gear, in the water. This is done via the idle timing screw.

1000 RPM's is a bit too high (and pretty rough on the gearcase).

12. Member
    RPM's usually drop 200 rpm's when motor is in the water as opposed to being on muff's, we will check and reset once i get to the lake.
    Bruce Phillips

13. Member
    Got my DVA adapter and my low side stator reading was 210 volts @ 1500 rpm.
    Bruce Phillips

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a tad low- have you VISUALLY inspected the stator for signs of discoloration, melting, overheating, or damaged/compromised leads?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's a tad low- have you VISUALLY inspected the stator for signs of discoloration, melting, overheating, or damaged/compromised leads?
    Yes sir..i had the flywheel off a couple months ago and everything looked bright and shiny on the coils and did not see any bad looking connectors.
    Bruce Phillips

Read input to each coil with DVA at idle. Report all 6
    Mark
    2003XB/225 Promax

17. Member
    @ 1500 rpm's i got 145 volts on all 6 coils.....low side stator was 210.......richened carbs up 1/8 turn..bogging down is gone..just wants to 2 cycle when you throttle up...idle in neutral in the water 750 after warmed up... today when i came into boat dock and i idled down it would die after running for 10 minutes back to boat dock, it would drop idle down to 300 rpm's in gear and die did this about 3 times and last restart it idled fine...carbs have never been touched that im aware of im wondering it i have a needle sticking closed in a seat...runs fine without issues on the high side...maybe getting reed time also dont know..........here's the spec's from my service manual...195 to 265 at 1000 rpm's on low side stator.

DVA Specifications
    Test Selection
    Sw. Position
    DVA Lead
    RED
    DVA Lead
    BLACK
    Scale Reading
    @ 400 RPM
    Scale Reading
    @ 1000 RPM
    Scale Reading
    @ 3000 RPM
    Coil
    Primary
    400 VDC* Coil (+)
    Terminal
    Coil (-)
    Terminal
    90 - 145 125 - 175 175 - 240
    Sw. Box -
    Stop Circuit
    400 VDC* Black/Yellow
    Sw. Box Terminal
    Ground 200 - 300 225 - 400 225 - 400
    Stator
    Low Speed
    400 VDC* Blue Sw.
    Box Terminal
    Ground 100 - 265 195 - 265 255 - 345
    Stator
    High Speed
    400 VDC* Red Sw.
    Box Terminal
    Ground 25 - 50 120 - 160 230 - 320
    Sw. Box -
    Bias
    20VDC or
    40VDC
    [See Note 1]
    Ground
    [See Note 1]
    White/Black
    Sw. Box Terminal
    1 - 6 3 - 15 10 - 30
    Bruce Phillips

18. Member
    Think i found my problem...looks like coil was shorting out on the magnet assembly...it ohm's good....checked all the other coils and no arching on them.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruce Phillips

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Could very well be... a new coil will tell you.

20. Member
    I guess those are shields are what ever i broke a couple of them taking the rubber piece off and glued them back together...will that hurt anything?
    Bruce Phillips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast