Thread: Compressor help

Compressor help

My gut is tell me rock clean the water cooler strainer. For the life of me I can not find "bolt C" (express mikes diagram) thats under the rubber grommet. I looked for about 10 minutes with a flash light. If some one could point me in the direction of where it its or post a pict of where exactly it would be greatly appreciated would

My motor is either a 13 or 14 Pro xs 225 s/n 1b937353

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

There is a plastic gromet in the lower cowling that has to be removed. It is form fit to the cowling and easy to miss if you dont look close. Then you have to use an extension on a socket to get to the bolt.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

I did that. I took the grommet off and looked all inside. I be dang if I can find that bolt

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I did that. I took the grommet off and looked all inside. I be dang if I can find that bolt
    Its back there, center line of the motor. Unless someone didnt re-install it at some point. Take the other 3 out and see. You should be able to shine a flashlight in there to see it

Yea its still holding the cowling on unless somthing other than the bolts hold it on. Once all the bolts are removed I should it just come off?

I found the bolt. Its way up in there

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I found the bolt. Its way up in there
    Yep, they really wanted you to work for that one

Re-install is twice as fun. use tape or grease in the socket to hold the bolt until you can get it in the hole and started

My gut was right

Yep. That little sucker is a PITA, wish they put it somewhere you could get to easier, if you fish shallow or grass you want to take it out after trip (because of that gut feeling you had) but that gets old quick haha

10. Member
    Not that bad........

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Yep. That little sucker is a PITA, wish they put it somewhere you could get to easier, if you fish shallow or grass you want to take it out after trip (because of that gut feeling you had) but that gets old quick haha
    Yea. The fish here in Texas, or at least the lakes I fish are alreday bedding so I've been fishing really shallow and in weeds so I wanted a little piece of mind

I once had a 1999 135 Optimax that did not have the grommet but sure had the bolt at the same place. Talk about a PITA!!!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Oh yes. It's easy ish if you loosen the bolt just enough to where it's not threaded with out taking it out. Once the pieces are separated just tape it in place that way it doesn't fall out

14. Member
    Wow that is nuts! Good thing you checked and got it cleaned. This is something everyone fishing dirty or shallow water should be doing regular check ups on.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And it should ALWAYS be done as part of your ANNUAL MAINTENANCE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor