Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar

Hobie Mirage Inflatables

Hello everyone, does anyone own one of the Hobie Mirage Inflatables? Experience? I'm looking at either the i9S or i11S model. From what I have been reading, it appears they had some seal issues in the earlier models but have improved on them over the years. Due to the weight of hard kayaks and needing a roof rack etc, I think this would be a good option for fishing some small waters by me. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Steve

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

I looked at those for quite a while, and almost bought an i11s. The thing that stopped me was launching. I like to get in my yak and push off with my paddle so I don't get my feet wet. I don't know if that material they are made from could handle that.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

3. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    I looked at those for quite a while, and almost bought an i11s. The thing that stopped me was launching. I like to get in my yak and push off with my paddle so I don't get my feet wet. I don't know if that material they are made from could handle that.
    From the sounds of it, getting wet is not any more of an issue than you would have in the same style hard shell. I'm going to look at one at a local dealer soon and will post some feedback on construction etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt93 View Post
    From the sounds of it, getting wet is not any more of an issue than you would have in the same style hard shell. I'm going to look at one at a local dealer soon and will post some feedback on construction etc.
    Cool. Keep us posted. Those things are pretty cool.
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

I went to help a guy at the launch get his Hobie because he was alone. He said I'm good it was one of them and was quite lite.

6. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I've ruled against getting the inflatable, as a lot of areas I like to fish have timber.

7. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Have you looked at the Outback. One of my kayak fishing buddies car tops his and he is 70 years old. Or you can get a trailer from Harbor Freight for around $200, a roof system could cost as much. A lot of variables for transporting a kayak, depends on what you want to do.

8. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
    Have you looked at the Outback. One of my kayak fishing buddies car tops his and he is 70 years old. Or you can get a trailer from Harbor Freight for around $200, a roof system could cost as much. A lot of variables for transporting a kayak, depends on what you want to do.
    It's funny you mention the Outback as that is the model I intend to pick up if I go this route. The roof rack system I need is somewhat custom so It's about $500 and change, than the Thule Hull-A-Port is a few hundred more. Little costs here and there but it all adds up. I don't keep vehicles that long but I am trying to hold onto this one for a bit as I do enjoy it.

9. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Update: Walked into my local Hobie dealer today and they had just confirmed their Hobie order shipping Monday. Owner called back and they changed a 2017 Outback to Papaya color for me and it will be here next Friday! Man I'm excited to get on the water again and fish in a new style. So excited. Will post pics when I pick it up.

Congrats dude! I'm on my way home from work with a 6 pack. I'll drink one to your new yak!
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

11. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royjulius View Post
    Congrats dude! I'm on my way home from work with a 6 pack. I'll drink one to your new yak!
    Thabks man. Pretty excited to get back on the water. Ever since the kids have grown and gotten into travel sports, we put a backyard oasis in with a pool, we got rid of the Bass Cat and I miss fishing bad. This will be a nice way to get out for a few hours and have some fun. Lots of small lakes by me where motors aren't allowed, so it will be great.

12. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Congrats on the Outback, you'll love it. I had a 2012 Outback and the only thing I really did not like was the seat, little more than a pad, but since the chair seat was added it should be a very comfortable ride. I now have a couple of the PA-14's, a '12 & '13 and the '13 has the new chair which is much more comfortable than the seat in the '12. The chair in the Outback is similar. Now, go catch some fish!

13. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
    Congrats on the Outback, you'll love it. I had a 2012 Outback and the only thing I really did not like was the seat, little more than a pad, but since the chair seat was added it should be a very comfortable ride. I now have a couple of the PA-14's, a '12 & '13 and the '13 has the new chair which is much more comfortable than the seat in the '12. The chair in the Outback is similar. Now, go catch some fish!
    Hobie has made some changes over the years for sure. I've thought about buying one of these for years, and some changes have been pretty significant (like the seat). I was close to pulling the trigger last year, but am glad I waited as the 2017 Mirage 180 drives have reverse.