Thread: ULTREX OR NOT?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ULTREX OR NOT?

Just wanting opinions on if I should make the jump to the ULtrex. I have a 2015 Skeeter zx250 I bought new last June that has a 52" Fortrex with US2 that only has about 5 months of use (I live in Maine) its basically like new. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth the cost to go to the Ultrex? Guys that have made the swap, what do you think? Also if I where to buy the Ultrex how much do you think I could sell my Fortrex for?

2. Member
    I have not made the switch and have not used an Ultrex other than a demo to show how quickly it turns.

I went from a canle steer to a terrova a few years ago and spot lock has to be the best feature I would have a hard time doing without now. With that out of the way though, If I had a Fortrex, I would have a hard time replacing a basically brand new motor with an Ultrex. I mean, if you've got the money, go for it but unless you think spotlock and being able to tecord a track are features you will use often, you will be disappointed.

buy the ultrex and keep the fortrex as a spare,,, Its a Minnkota so you will need to have a backup for sure

Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    buy the ultrex and keep the fortrex as a spare,,, Its a Minnkota so you will need to have a backup for sure

Yeah its nice to have a backup MK to loan a buddy who always has his Motor Guide in the shop.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I made the switch.. I have a 2015 triton that came with a fortex.. My Motor is pretty much brand new also. However I did not get poles with my boat. I primarily fish to deep of water for them for me to justify the purchace. The ultrex how ever I found justication for and to me it will be worth it. If something goes wrong I still got a great motor to use.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    I have not made the switch and have not used an Ultrex other than a demo to show how quickly it turns.

I went from a canle steer to a terrova a few years ago and spot lock has to be the best feature I would have a hard time doing without now. With that out of the way though, If I had a Fortrex, I would have a hard time replacing a basically brand new motor with an Ultrex. I mean, if you've got the money, go for it but unless you think spotlock and being able to tecord a track are features you will use often, you will be disappointed.
    My current Fortrex is a 52" shaft and I want to go to a 45" shaft Ultrex so if I got the 45" Ultrex the Fortrexx will not fit in the mount

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Yeah its nice to have a backup MK to loan a buddy who always has his Motor Guide in the shop.
    Well my experience has been just the opposite beside I value my friends too much to loan them a MK

8. Banned
    Get the Ultrex! Consider this. It's like fishing on a platform that doesn't move for as long as you want. Worth every penny if you fish deep/off shore structure.

Got the ultrex and best thing on a bass boat in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    Well my experience has been just the opposite beside I value my friends too much to loan them a MK
    So you're the 1 of 5 guys who own a Motorguide!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    So you're the 1 of 5 guys who own a Motorguide!

There are plenty.
    Never had a problem with either
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post

13. Member
    Not sure on fitment 45 vs 52 get a 52 ultrex then you have a spare remember the ultrex is new could be issues but the spot lock will be worth the risk I'm contemplating myself

14. Member
    Okay I will chime in. Long time MG Tour guy like 17 years 2 different MG Tours and other MG before that. Prior to that OMC trolling motors only. I jumped ship to MK for the Ultrex and I have to say best fishing on 2 feet since going back to my hand controlled OMC with the long handle. Spot Lock, Cruise Control and every other feature this is the real deal. I am a junkie 2 Power Poles and the Ultrex each has it own best uses but I tell you pulling up on a point in 8 feet and deeper in the wind and just touching a button and fishing is flat out the bomb. The cost may keep some from pulling the trigger but as a long time die hard MG user guys I am glad I made the switch. I also had many trouble free years from MG. I had the gas struts installed the troll perfect too which made life way better but this Fortrex mount is unbelievable no more stepping on the head to release or snatching on that cable. Pick it up and let it go and it glides down and locks in place. Slicker than owl Sh_t just like the tailgate on my new truck! Hey I wish MG had a choice just like it with cables but they don't best investment since my first Power Pole!
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

I want an Ultrex!

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdendy View Post
    Okay I will chime in. Long time MG Tour guy like 17 years 2 different MG Tours and other MG before that. Prior to that OMC trolling motors only. I jumped ship to MK for the Ultrex and I have to say best fishing on 2 feet since going back to my hand controlled OMC with the long handle. Spot Lock, Cruise Control and every other feature this is the real deal. I am a junkie 2 Power Poles and the Ultrex each has it own best uses but I tell you pulling up on a point in 8 feet and deeper in the wind and just touching a button and fishing is flat out the bomb. The cost may keep some from pulling the trigger but as a long time die hard MG user guys I am glad I made the switch. I also had many trouble free years from MG. I had the gas struts installed the troll perfect too which made life way better but this Fortrex mount is unbelievable no more stepping on the head to release or snatching on that cable. Pick it up and let it go and it glides down and locks in place. Slicker than owl Sh_t just like the tailgate on my new truck! Hey I wish MG had a choice just like it with cables but they don't best investment since my first Power Pole!
    My sentiments exactly!!! Except I went with the ulterra.......Worth every penny!!! I've always run OMC or Motorguide before now....Happy X 3!

17. Member
    ran mine first time sat tried spot lock in 15 mph wind held within 3 ft ran contour for about 300 yrd would have used more except blew fuse on sonar units, best thing going glad i made the purchase now we just have to see how they hold up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Get the Ultrex! Consider this. It's like fishing on a platform that doesn't move for as long as you want. Worth every penny if you fish deep/off shore structure.
    Best thing I have ever bought for my boat!
    2001 Champion 206, Yamaha 250 V-Max hpdi
    1997 Nitro Savage 884, Mercury150 XR6, 8" Slidemaster Jack Plate

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    There are plenty.
    Never had a problem with either
    ok, 10 guys, sorry
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    ok, 10 guys, sorry

" Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast