Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Often Do You Replace Bunk Boards?

Looks like I got about 2.5 years out of the factory boards on my current rig. That seems terrible, but maybe that's about average. I'm replacing them with cedar 2x4's this time around. Hopefully they last a little bit longer.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

2. Member
    My last boat was right at 7 years. Most of the board was still holding good but the rear bolts had nothing to grab as that part of the board had pretty much rotted to the point the threads didn't have much to hang into. I discovered this on an out of town trip when the board came loose and all I had was some duct tape to get the board back on the frame so I could safely load my boat. We were a good half hour from civilization at the ramp and 1500 miles or so from home. I managed to fish the rest of the week with duct taped bunk boards and replacing lag bolts in previously un-used holes. Nothing like laying under your boat in a puddle of water in a hotel at night in the rain trying to get big lag bolts started in a 2X6.

The moral of that is if they are going bad go ahead and change them or get them changed. I'd say how long they last depends on how often you use your boat and where it's stored, maybe what kind of carpet and wood the manufacturer used in the first place. Try and leave some of the bottom of the bunk not carpeted so the wood can dry out.

3. Member
    I haven't had to replace mine yet and the boat is 10 years old. I imagine they are due.

4. Banned
    Never

Have had several 'older' boats. At the time they were about 10 to 15 years old. The bolts were starting to pull out, but the rest of the boards and carpet was very usable. I have used that nylon hay bale string and tied them on and it lasts a very long time. I didn't see the point in replacing the entirety when only a little was bad.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

6. Member
    Owned boats since 1980 and I have never changed one. Hope I didn't jinx myself now!
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

7. Member
    Mine were good for about 13-14 years before I had to replace them. Not that hard to do.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Never
    Like ever....
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Like ever....
    Like ever......

Well what the heck? I wonder if it's because I fish nearly every weekend all year long and my bunks stay wet a lot? I know dad hasn't replace his for a long time, but his boat sees water maybe 5-6 times a year.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    Well what the heck? I wonder if it's because I fish nearly every weekend all year long and my bunks stay wet a lot? I know dad hasn't replace his for a long time, but his boat sees water maybe 5-6 times a year.
    What is the determining factor that they are bad? Are they soft? Carpet ripped up?

12. Member
    Staying wet all the time doesn't help ya none. My last two boats were Cats. Before they went to this new synthetic stuff they double wrapped their bunks in really thick carpet. You seldom see a Cat trailer with worn carpets. That double thick carpet hold water twice as long. However they do sell pre-made bunks right from the factory at a very reasonable cost if you are close enough not to need shipping. Shipping was crazy high when I priced it for a set.

If it's a glass boat sitting on those wet bunks, and they stay wet a bunch, that can also lead to blisters quicker.

13. Member
    What is the determining factor that they are bad? Are they soft? Carpet ripped up?
    My bunks got so soft the bolts that hold them to the frame wouldn't stay in. I tried gorilla glue since it swells up but they were shot. The carpet still looked fantastic. I also wouldn't want ripped up carpet anywhere the wood touches the boat, especially along the edge the boat strikes when loading. Thats normally the first place to wear out. It's not so bad on aluminum, but terrible on gel coat.

My trailer is 23 years old and I just replaced my bunk boards and guide on boards and carpet.
    The bunk boards could have waited another year or two but the carpet was completely gone in spots. The guide on boards were so rotted that they wouldn't hold a screw. I had one hanging down when I got to the ramp and ended up holding it up with some wire until I got it home. I tried spinning it around but the rot was all the way through.

Well for me, I went to load the boat yesterday after a tourney and my right bunk was laying to the side and barely holding on by the rear bracket. The wood near the other brackets was all busted out. Guess I should have checked them for softening before now, but figured I had till summer. The carpet still looked new so I wasn't even thinking about the wood being bad. On my last rig, the carpet was getting worn out in spots, which led me to check the bunks and realize they were getting soft and needed replaced.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    Well for me, I went to load the boat yesterday after a tourney and my right bunk was laying to the side and barely holding on by the rear bracket. The wood near the other brackets was all busted out. Guess I should have checked them for softening before now, but figured I had till summer. The carpet still looked new so I wasn't even thinking about the wood being bad. On my last rig, the carpet was getting worn out in spots, which led me to check the bunks and realize they were getting soft and needed replaced.
    I had my last boat 9 years used every weekend from ice out to ice up. Never even thought to check the bunks. I wonder if having 2 boards or 4 makes a difference in longevity. Entering season 5 with the Lund and Shorelander trailer.I'm going to check now that it was mentioned, but I'm not anticipating any issues.

17. Member
    My trailer is a 2003 purchased new and I've replaced the bunks twice.

The boards rot out where the bolts go in. The bolts make a water path into the wood. A person should probably back out the bolts and put silicon into the hole and then insert the bolt to 'water proof' the hole.

The carpet should wear out before the bunk. Never had a boat that the bunks were bad anywhere except the bolts were rotted out. Have seen guys move the board forward/backward enough to get bolts into good wood.

I would say if you bought a new trailer/boat and replaced your bunks twice you probably had your boat a very very long time!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

That's what happened on mine. The wood rotted where the bolts went in. I didn't check the rest of the board to see if it was only soft around the bolt holes though. I'll find that out when I get my parts in to replace the bunks here in a few days. Good thinking on the silicone in the pilot holes. I'll try to remember to do that before I tighten the boards to the brackets.

My Tracker is an 06. But I've had it for almost 4 years now. Replaced them last summer. They were original but that is because the first owner really didn't use the boat much. This was the first time I actually replace them because, I never owned a boat Long enough to wear them out. And actually on this one the boards where not all that bad, had one bolt that was soft. But the carpet was bad. It really just goes back to how much it is used. And how well they dry out from being stored in between trips.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast