GPS unit for hunting lease

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this question. I am wanting to invest in a handheld gps unitto mark stand, trail, camera locations, etc, but i dont know if they have them that have google earth type maps ??? Is there such a thing that could be updated when google earth updates its maps ??? Terrain changes with controlled burns, timber cutting and thinning, pipelines and highlines being built all over. Anyone that has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    I use my iPhone 7 standard map in earth view mode for what you are looking for. The terrain I hunt doesn't change much where I hunt.
    Last edited by catchatoad; 02-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.

I tried once taking the truck gps when hunting.. well lets just say those don't run long on internal battery lolo

4. Member
    Do you have good cell signal where you are at?

Google Earth (Not google maps) has an upgraded version that will allow you to drop pins, color code them, and label them. That'll most likely have the newest maps available as well. I have used it on the computer a bit for work before, it's insane.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

5. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar
    Huntstand app gives a lot of flexibility of use. I use it a lot for duck and deer hunting.

6. Member
    I hear what you're asking (which is quite a lot). Not an expert but it sounds like you need a decent quality unit that will store all your waypoints and then can download them to Google as new photos are available. That would seem to be the key to staying current--updating and maintaining data in the GPS. Have you been able to go from GPS to Google earth already? Or are you just starting out?

Foresters use this stuff all the time so maybe post this in the Lounge too. Their landscape is always changing and they can't afford to redo it every time a harvest takes place. You're almost getting into GIS if you want to get really fancy.

7. Member
    Download the app antler insanity. It's free. I mark all my stands with it and it has Google earth overlay. Also tells you wind direction with an arrow pointing down wind. Also sunrise sunset times.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Poor cell phone service where im at, thought a gps using satellite would be better for my situation. Google earth updates every couple years and thats the reason i was wanting to go in that direction if it was possible. The topo units are ok, but they show no actual trees, trails, etc.... cell phones werent really designed for forest canopies like an actual gps unit would be.

9. Member
    A. Why the heck are you posting at quarter to 4:00??? Working night shift?

B. Seek advice from geocaching nuts on which GPS units are best.in the woods. Many work fine in the open but are useless under a canopy.

Not sure why the time when im posting is important
    Last edited by BADAZZTRITON; 02-15-2017 at 01:31 AM.

11. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    You are limited but google earth on phones get positioning from satellites, I use mine all the time. Without cell coverage you are limited to location/direction.